Clutch Issue - Opinion appreciated

Hey Guys,

Just had my clutch go on me, haven't yet been able to get it to a garage but wanted to gauge what the problem might be.

Ive got a 06 197 and about a week ago I noticed the clutch being funny every time I set off from stand still bringing it up to the biting point it would shudder a little before the revs got up. It was fine if I was giving it a lot of gas but it wasn't right. Yesterday on the way home the clutch pedal pretty much gave way changing gears and I just about managed(with a final push) to get it home as I was able to get a couple of gear changes out of it before it finally gave way completely. I looked under the car after it had been stationary for a period and found it had been leaking..Im hoping its just the clutch's master cylinder gone but fear it could be the clutch or even the gears? Anyone had anything similar happen? or ideas of what it could be?

Yeah reading the forums and it seems a new clutch is in order.. Im doubting the gears too and oil was a fairly neutral smell...

While it's open and the work needs doing, is there any work or parts I could use to get more out of the car? :tongueout:

Think I'll save my dosh in that case then..Is it worth just getting a used/refurbed clutch as I could potentially save a couple hundred quid with doing so?

Last edited:
No, that would be foolish to do! New full clutch kit and you're sorted for very many years. The labour will be as much if not higher than the parts, so you don't risk having to do it twice.

Your slave cylinder has give up by the sounds of it, I had it done on mine when the gearbox died and changed the slave cylinder and clutch while everything was out, I paid around £105 for the slave cylinder and £125 for the clutch from renault.

Last edited:
£125 was probably just the plate and not the cover too? or it was a cracking price and I got raped royally!!

But yes £105 is the slave price as I bought another one from Renault a couple of months ago.

Yeah I had a look at prices, couldn't find a clutch for 125 either! I'll check with Renault tomrrow. Found some LUK clutch kits going on eBay for
a good pricey but they're an unknown quantity? This is all rather frustrating as I was looking to buy a newer rs in the next couple of months! Ha.

Get the best bits you can justify, with mine I had a new clutch and slave cylinder in march and another new clutch and flywheel last week. As the genuine Renault clutch fitted six months ago fell apart and knackered the flywheel too.

Get the best bits you can justify, with mine I had a new clutch and slave cylinder in march and another new clutch and flywheel last week. As the genuine Renault clutch fitted six months ago fell apart and knackered the flywheel too.

Very interesting. I also had a genuine Renault clutch only last a few weeks before shedding the friction material. Maybe a bad batch / poor QA?

Doesnt sound good! Will stick to genuine parts though and have my fingers crossed... Won't be long before its traded in for a newer plate though :smile:

Last edited:
It was both parts of the clutch not just the friction plate, i think I went through my work account and got a good price off the dealer, I'll double check the paperwork when I get home.