Council Tax, Help?

Hi guys,

I'm shortly moving into the missus' place and today rang the local council (Northampton) to cancel my council tax.

I currently rent my flat and was asked by the woman on the phone when my tenancy agreement was due to end, in response I told her it was the 29th October.

Much to my surprise she then informed me that I shall still be responsible even after vacating for the council tax until another tenant has been moved in!...

This is all becuase I am apparently obliged to pay as I have entered an agreement with my tenancy..

I've looked into other councils who do not seem to enforce this.. is it me or is this bloody stupid?

It's hardly affordable paying x2 sets of bills!

You need to ask them what agreement, when you agreed it, how you agreed it, where your signature is and a copy of the document as proof.

Have you got a copy of your actual tenancy agreement to hand? have a read through that to see what it says about the council tax. Is it let through an agency or direct to the landlord, if it's a agency it might be worth speaking direct to them about it, they will have the experience in the area to adviser about the councils inner workings.

I'm going to ring and re-explain my situation to them and then also blag my way into having a rolling contract. See if that gets me anywhere. I am in no way shape or form though paying while it's unattended..Or for the new tenant who "conveniently" forgets to set theirs up..

I would have thought that once you've vacated the property it reverts back to the Property owner to pay? Like GT said ^ I'd ask for proof of the document, how do the council know what tenancy agreement you've signed and what the wording is? That sounds like a pretty sweeping statement to make.

if the property is empty you don't have to pay surely!

I moved out of my house and rented a place and stopped the tax at one and started it at the other - and while my old house was empty the "ex" didn't pay anything...

if the property is empty you don't have to pay surely!

I moved out of my house and rented a place and stopped the tax at one and started it at the other - and while my old house was empty the "ex" didn't pay anything...

Technically if it has furniture in it you're still supposed to have to pay, but you can apply for an exemption of a certain amount.

Similar Thread Suggestions