Cup dampers with lowering springs

Right going to get some h&rs and was going to change to 197 cup dampers, as I've got ff dampers at the moment, but was wondering shouldn't I just get 200 cup dampers instead as they are supposedly better?

How much are the 197 and 200 cup dampers?

Where are you sourcing the parts? If it's from Renault direct you'll be better off buying coilovers for the price a set of dampers.

Unless you track it I doubt you'd notice the difference between 197 and 200 dampers around the lower/stiffer springs.

Cup Dampers are only ~£60 per corner Ben. Cup Springs however are very expensive.

I'm using 197 Cup Dampers on mine Luke and they feel very well matched to the H&Rs, no odd bouncing or settling etc..

Going to track it this year, haven't done one before so will be a total noob, and will probably speak to twingogeekeo on here see what the prices are, think willis got his 197 cup dampers new for 200 and then h&rs are about 160, so that's 360 give or take 20 quid or so, alot more affordable than coilovers as I wouldn't have best use out of coilovers tbh.

I still think the difference between 197 cup dampers on H&Rs vs 200 cup dampers on same springs would be negligible.

I would think the 200 ones would be around the same price as the 197 ones, although remember that there might be two part numbers for 200 Cup ampers as they changed the Top Mount part-way through production and the later ones might not fit on a 197 (in theory, as the coilovers aren't interchangeable after this point)...

Agreed, don't think you'd notice the 7% or whatever the difference is on the dampers Luke.

Last edited:
How hard are the fronts to change on the 197, i have some h&r's... im pretty mechanically minded but limited for space ... ie drive way.. is this something thats a pain in the arse as ive heard a subframe drop is needed? and if not how much am i looking at labour from a garage.

How hard are the fronts to change on the 197, i have some h&r's... im pretty mechanically minded but limited for space ... ie drive way.. is this something thats a pain in the arse as ive heard a subframe drop is needed? and if not how much am i looking at labour from a garage.

Got mine fitted at Northwest Performance for £80

Got mine fitted at Northwest Performance for £80

+1, Ryan did mine too in a couple of hours.

The rears are a piece of p!ss to do, the fronts are a little more complicated and I didn't fancy doing it on my back on the driveway as I'd never done anything with a hub like is on the RS before. Otherwise I'd have done mine myself. Everything can only come off and go back on one way though, it's just a case of wether you want to scrabble about under the car if you don't have access to a lift/ramp.

Shouldn't take more than three hours really.

You can do the rears in under an hour on a ramp, that's for both sides. It's only four bolts.