Dephaser solenoid loose

Hello! I've been a member since 2010 but not been online for over 4 years.

My 197 got parked up about that time and not turned a wheel since! Except to trailer it to my new house.
Basically I had the dreaded dephaser rattle and decided to get it replaced before it failed. I used a local garage and had the timing belt done at the same time. When I got the car back it seemed quite flat and holding back. The garage pointed out to me that the main CAT sounded like a bag of dried beans so that was probably why it was down on power. At the time, for various reasons, mainly a divorse, I didn't have the time or money to look further into it, so I parked the car up for another day.

Well (finally!) that day has come!! :smiley:

Now in hindsite ive got no doubt that the lack of power is more than likely to do with the (then) local garage doing something wrong. But as the CAT is blocked I thought I'd start with sorting that out...
Other much needed jobs before it goes back on the road are-
4 new tyres.
New battery.
New brakes all round.
Oil and filter change.
New plugs.

So today I dropped the oil, changed the filter and started on the plugs.
When I came to remove the 1st bolt, the one that also holds the dephaser solenoid in place I found it was loose. Threads totally stripped in the hole! Not a huge issue, I'll just tap it out 1/4" or helicoil the 6mm... aaaaanyway- my question is- what effect will the solenoid not being tight/free to move around have had on the car? I could literally pull the solenoid out with the bolt in situ. Could this be the reason it was holding back? Or is that just wishful thinking in the hope I won't eventually need to get the timing sorted :smiley:

Good to be back!

My 197 got parked up about that time and not turned a wheel since! Except to trailer it to my new house.
Basically I had the dreaded dephaser rattle and decided to get it replaced before it failed. I used a local garage and had the timing belt done at the same time. When I got the car back it seemed quite flat and holding back. The garage pointed out to me that the main CAT sounded like a bag of dried beans so that was probably why it was down on power. At the time, for various reasons, mainly a divorse, I didn't have the time or money to look further into it, so I parked the car up for another day.

Now in hindsite ive got no doubt that the lack of power is more than likely to do with the (then) local garage doing something wrong. But as the CAT is blocked I thought I'd start with sorting that out...
4 new tyres.
New battery.
New brakes all round.
Oil and filter change.
New plugs.

When I came to remove the 1st bolt, the one that also holds the dephaser solenoid in place I found it was loose. Threads totally stripped in the hole! Not a huge issue, I'll just tap it out 1/4" or helicoil the 6mm... aaaaanyway- my question is- what effect will the solenoid not being tight/free to move around have had on the car? I could literally pull the solenoid out with the bolt in situ. Could this be the reason it was holding back? Or is that just wishful thinking in the hope I won't eventually need to get the timing sorted :smiley:

Good to be back!
Sounds like they did a crap job and covered up !

Crap? You're being very polite!

Its the type of job I'd usually have done myself, but circumstance didn't allow for it at the time. It's my own fault for getting it done 'cheap'. But I'll sort it.
Oh- and forgot to add the main job to the list- gearbox rebuild! 3rd gear isn't there anymore after my last trip to Donnington.

If the car feels sluggish then you may have the same issue as me when I had the belts done. Remove the solenoid and clean it up and test is on a volt meter thing (I have no idea what it's called!).
If it opens and closes without issue, it could well be the dephaser itself that is faulty. Check my progress thread to see the issues I had.

Crap? You're being very polite!

Its the type of job I'd usually have done myself, but circumstance didn't allow for it at the time. It's my own fault for getting it done 'cheap'. But I'll sort it.
Oh- and forgot to add the main job to the list- gearbox rebuild! 3rd gear isn't there anymore after my last trip to Donnington.
I like to be polite,lol. Gearbox is a bugger, lots of other things to go tits up too!

4 new tyres.
New battery.
New brakes all round.
Oil and filter change.
New plugs.

Good to be back!
What you mean is you hid it until divorc.e was sorted!! Been there three times, no the tricks :excited:

4 new tyres.
New battery.
New brakes all round.
Oil and filter change.
New plugs.

Good to be back!
I decided today to get my meg gearbox back on only to discover the old one had seven screws in it instead of nine, bodgers!!

the vvt solenoids are not a "tight fit" in the head...when you change the plugs and remove the bolt from the bracket you can easily turn it in position..

if it fails they usual sound a bit rough when running - well on 172/182 not come across a 197/200 faulty yet

the vvt solenoids are not a "tight fit" in the head...when you change the plugs and remove the bolt from the bracket you can easily turn it in position..

if it fails they usual sound a bit rough when running - well on 172/182 not come across a 197/200 faulty yet

How would the car run if the solenoid wasnt bolted down and could move around?

How would the car run if the solenoid wasnt bolted down and could move around?

the real risk is it moving up and losing all the oil/oil pressure in the head..i dont think the rotation of it is a real issue as its a spool type valve