Dipstick snapped

Whilst checking my oil this morning the measure part has snapped off and is obviously in the sump somewhere, is it ok to run the car?

Thanks

Dont risk it M8.

What a complete bind that is. Means taking sump off where it is......or getting it towed to a garage.

What a great start to a Sunday.

Good luck.

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
Its weird that it happened at all but it can happen..
Its uncommon fault( is the ball at the end of the stick got broke or the whole measure ?)
And dont let this down you ,you caught it early (hopefully)so is probably a cheap fix .
Hopefully you end up at strip/refit sump and some oil and not a major fix.
Good luck
Update us later!

drain the oil 1st and then its bolts off..not a hard job but will get messy...
also maybe next time run the car for a bit to warm the oil up before measuring how much oil you have..:thumb:
with this cold weather those plastics can get a bit brittle..

Reactions: Chris
Well I drained the oil and hoped the offending plastic would come out but that was hoping for to much, taking the sump off was a no no as suffer with bad back and just draining the oil took its toll so I got on the phone to my garage owner mate/mechanic who said it will have no detriment to the car and it will just sit in the sump, he says he has seen loads of various cars with snapped dipsticks so at that point the oil was changed and spent the rest of the day blasting round the Peak District, cracking afternoon!

Shame you didn't fine the missing part, despite the best efforts. At least you've had that reassurance that you're ok to use the car, and made the most of it!

At some point I will be dropping the lot to change the rear crank seal so will have the sump cleaned then...
My diesel scenic did that. I was too busy to sort it so left it a week, then another, then several more. Eventually six months later I decided to sort it but two days before I planned to do it it threw a piston ring. Lol

Be good to hear if there's a stainless replacement available - I hate the plastic thing!

P.S - hope you find the missing part! I had something similar happen the other day, took the cap off the brake fluid and the rubber insert went flying, never seen it again.

Now have a spare master cylinder, and reservoir just incase (had to buy the whole lot from a breakers just for the rubber insert!!!)