Does the fastchip stg 1 map require high octane fuel?

I can't find any RON97 or higher where I am. The tank is now full with high quality 95RON. Can I safely apply the map or should I wait til I can get some 98RON?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mind paying for V-power when i can find it, in fact I already do. But apart from performance, are you saying that running lower than 97 in combination with the RStuner map will potentially damage the engine? It is a 2 hour round trip to get any fuel above 95 from where I'm at.

Last edited:
It won't damage the engine at all. I didn't notice where you live sorry. In this case I wouldn't worry, they normally say to remap with high octane just to max out what the engine can achieve, but as it's not really convenient for you, I'd map the way it is.

I'd also call or email them, they may be able to design the map to suit the circumstances???

Thanks for tying to help. Unfortunately that would entail a 2 day trip from Norway to the UK via Holland :smile:

Last edited:
Thanks for tying to help. Unfortunately that would entail a 2 day trip from Norway to the UK via Holland :smile:

Go via Holland and bring some heroine with you and it will pay for the trip and petrol. win/win

Anyhow. If i apply the map will the knock sensor adjust for any knocking I may get with 95RON due to the leaner mixture and more aggressive timing, or would you deem it too risky? Mitchell197 recons I'll be alright. Do you agree? I really want to apply the map and go for a test run :smiley:

I know Tesco are trying to take over the world, quite surprised they've not hit Norway yet :smile:

Don't think there's any point using vpower to have your car mapped, but not use that fuel on a daily basis. Have it mapped to what fuel your going to use all the time.

Can you get hold of any Toluene in Norway? That's a genuine proper octane booster. Toluene has an octane rating of 120, so mixed in the correct ratio can boost your octane to over 100. Don't use it neat though, too expensive and too slow to burn. It's got excellent knock resistance so it's fantastic in turbo or high compression engines, it was used in the F1 turbo era with n-heptane (octane rating of zero as it's one carbon atom shorter than octane).

Don't think there's any point using vpower to have your car mapped, but not use that fuel on a daily basis. Have it mapped to what fuel your going to use all the time.

Agreed, but in the city where I live I CAN get 98. I should have explained earlier that I'm stuck in the countryside for a month, and there is no 98RON in this area, and there is nothing to do at night apart from tinkering with the car and reading forums on the web. That is why I would like to know if I'm ok to test it. I can always go back to the stock calibration afterwards, at least until I get back to town.

Last edited:

rstuning usually recommend only using higher octane fuel once mapped...