Door Handles Button Problems

Jmax

197 F1 Team
Platinum Member
The buttons to lock the car on both my door handles have stopped working (the button on the door handle, not the button on the remote), do any of you have any idea what might be causing them not to work?

The button on the boot still works though.

Cheers in advance,
John

Last edited:
Sorry I meant the actual button on the door handle, not the remote [MENTION=54125]johnnyc1173[/MENTION]

Sorry I meant the actual button on the door handle, not the remote @johnnyc1173

Apparently some people have fixed the handle buttons not working issue by changing the battery in the remote, I currently have the same problem but haven't had change to grab a battery yet.

Mine have stopped working in the past then just started working again (for over 12 months) but recently I'm having the same problem as you again... it's worth trying the battery as a cheap starting point!

Yes sometimes if battery is getting low in remote it doesn't lock fine unlocking, for the price of a battery worth a try [emoji106]

Ok, so changed the batteries and its still not working, any ideas guys?

I find that my drivers door is hard to work after washing the car one check that I do is take the key out and hold it to the middle of the drivers window but sometimes that has no affect. So your left with three things is it the key or is it the handle button or is it the receiver, I have a Renault clip so I must check with it tomorrow as you can tell when buttons on the dash are pressed or not so I think you should be able to see if the door handle button is pressed somewhere. I don't think it is the key or the receiver as the door always unlocks which means the key is seen by the car. If you have a second key I would try that for a while and if the drivers door does not lock try the passenger one to lock it go back to the drivers door put your hand on the handle to unlock it if that works the key's fine stay in the same position and lock it with the handle button again. It's like mobile's is it the phone, sim or network that's crap, my car has been polished and the paint is off the passenger door handle so I might replace both because they look as bad as a kerbed wheel. Make sure the key is not sitting behind your phone inside your pocket and the key pocket is not facing away from the car when you press the button.

issues I have found - are that the optical sensor can get water in it (it has on 2 that I have changed) and causes the system not to unlock when your hand goes behind the handle

if you pull the handle there is also a switch built in to the assembly that will "wake up" the hands-free system to unlock the door

as for the buttons not working - if they are/go faulty and they do - its a new handle which isn't as bad as changing all the sensor set up - shame they aren't like megane
handles as you can change just the button on those

might be worth trying to see if the buttons work if you press them really hard or see if you can spray some wd40 as I don't think they are that good at being water proof!

Yes some said there was a button kit I have found a picture of a Megan one
$_35.jpg
Now this is not for a Clio it's for a Megan or something so don't take the part number and order it then blame me for the wrong part. It looks like the keyless receiver is built into the handles so changing the handle should fix everything. In my case the paint has worn off so changing the handles would be best you have to take them off paint them and hope the button which is showing some problems doesn't fail. But like most Renault parts especially when I had the 172 was do a bit extra before fitting so the part will last longer. Example exhaust back box use high temp paint before fitting as the genuine ones broke at the weld about 2 years in and painting got an extra year or two I know this cause I had the car 12 years and fitted a few. There is a tube of clear electrical gel called Contralube I think Maplin sell it now its for electrical connections TV aerials, Car electrical connectors basically what it does is fills the connector voids and stops air and water getting to the copper connectors with no electrical or signal interference. I have used it on custom loom military connectors in the British superbike championship when the guys use Bull**** spray (silicone spray) around the engine to shine everything it penetrates the connects leaving a white residue on the pins inside. I will get my hands on one take it apart I think they are the same as a Laguna III handle maybe a strip down clean and protect will be a useful more permanent fix.

Thanks for the link, can see it being very helpful for those who have a problem with the handle button not working and don't want to replace the entire thing.

Last edited:
Ok so randomly the buttons have started working again, I changed nothing in the way I was trying to use them or the positioning of the keys etc.

Ok so randomly the buttons have started working again, I changed nothing in the way I was trying to use them or the positioning of the keys etc.

Mine have done the same. Stopped working a couple of weeks ago then started working again yesterday. No idea why. Just a quirk of Renault electrics I guess hahaha

[MENTION=5499]Jmax[/MENTION] This is usually what happens with mine, although mine currently isn't working :thumbdown: