Eco Driving!

Hi everyone,

I've recently received my black box for my car. I have three months of beautiful driving and then I'm home free again. Do these vehicles NEED to be hammered once in a while or will this 3 month break for 1-2k RPM driving leave the engine and ECU relatively unaffected? I don't want to have to do three months, finally send the black box back, hammer the car and find out the ECU has adjusted something to eco driving and I've lost 10BHP which can be a nightmare to get back?

Thanks.

You'll be fine. The car is getting driven, shouldn't affect anything.

How come you have the black box? Cheaper insurance? I've only heard of 1-2 others having them fitted.

You'll be fine. The car is getting driven, shouldn't affect anything.

How come you have the black box? Cheaper insurance? I've only heard of 1-2 others having them fitted.

I'm 20 years of age with an accident under my belt. My insurance is £1,300 a year with a black box. It's literally the cheapest I could get. I've had the car a week without the box on and I've enjoyed it loads.

3 months will soon go by.

Would drive me nuts though with a car like the clio. I had a box in my first car which was a 2001 punto but that was just for time (11pm-5am) not driving style.

After 750 miles of driving at 40mpg, my clio would hesitate more than normal when pulling away and just run a little rough.

An Italian tune up soon sorted it. :smile:

Our cars have an adaptive ecu afaik.... Once you start driving her hard again it will only need a couple of hard sprints to "wake up"...