Engine Codes and the Random Misfire

Car has been playing up for the last week, got the guy that services our cars to replace the coil packs as i believed that was the problem. Also check what error codes he could see and saw random misfire.

As well as the flashing engine light we had a number of instances where it certainly seemed to be misfiring, but when this happened the ESP light and spanner were on ?? Stopping and restarting the engine cured this

Still have the flashing engine light appearing, though no ESP/Misfire in the last 15 miles since they were changed.

Redid the diagnostics today, and he saw

Any one help as to what these may mean - looking decidedly like we may need to take to dealer.

Has anyone any experience of the Renault @ Westcroft Milton Keynes ?

Thanks

Dean.

Car has been playing up for the last week, got the guy that services our cars to replace the coil packs as i believed that was the problem. Also check what error codes he could see and saw random misfire.

As well as the flashing engine light we had a number of instances where it certainly seemed to be misfiring, but when this happened the ESP light and spanner were on ?? Stopping and restarting the engine cured this

Still have the flashing engine light appearing, though no ESP/Misfire in the last 15 miles since they were changed.

Redid the diagnostics today, and he saw

Any one help as to what these may mean - looking decidedly like we may need to take to dealer.

Has anyone any experience of the Renault @ Westcroft Milton Keynes ?

Thanks

Dean.

what are those codes supposed to be?

there not obd2 system codes...

random misfire code is usually p0300 - this means the ecu cannot pinpoint the cause of the misfire as it happens across most/all cylinders - so this could be due to different factors - just changing the coils was a waste of time/money

it could be a fuel issue or a faulty lambda sensor etc

just changing the coils was a waste of time/money

Clearly :001_unsure:

Will try a few fills of Super unleaded - i think the wife has been filling up with Tesco's Value...

May get myself a Lambda Sensor and stick it on - Do you know if its pre or post cat as there seems to be two different ones available.

Thanks

Dean.

Clearly :001_unsure:

Will try a few fills of Super unleaded - i think the wife has been filling up with Tesco's Value...

May get myself a Lambda Sensor and stick it on - Do you know if its pre or post cat as there seems to be two different ones available.

Thanks

Dean.

i wouldnt fit anything just yet!

run it on some good fuel first and take it for a good blast first

the sensors are like £80+ i think - the first sensor is the main fuelling one (in the end of the manifold) but the sytem uses 2 sensors - the second is used to monitor the effectiveness of the first and iirc is the one that causes the flashing engine light a sort of "emissions failure" warning!

check for any obviuos loose wires (wires to the lambda sensor underneath) and possible air leaks before throwing anymore money at it!

Last edited:
I think the thing with this random misfire thing is just one little hiccup and it logs a fault.

Then it's in the memory until you plug something in and clear it.

I plugged mine in and had the same but can't recall any bad running, cleared it, i should check it again but i bet it's there again.

I think the thing with this random misfire thing is just one little hiccup and it logs a fault.

Then it's in the memory until you plug something in and clear it.

I plugged mine in and had the same but can't recall any bad running, cleared it, i should check it again but i bet it's there again.

exactly its a bit too keen but suppose its the obd2 and eu emission targets the engines have to meet causing alot of the problems

Thanks all - plugs have been checked and were all good.

I have instructed my wife to fill with BP Super for the next few fills and see where we go.

Whilst i see the random misfire/engine light thing happens to a number of people, i cant see anyone who has had ESP and Spanner with rough idle/misfire - maybe just a co-incidence.

Dean.

Myself and mike ( 200 gordini ) had this issue the plugs looked mint but when replaced the car worked a treat, I will say how ever to use shell v power or tesco 99 all the time, good luck and let us know how it all goes

Have now confirmed plugs are all brand new put in week before last, so rules that one out.

Still seeing flashing engine light, though specifically when warm and sitting idling in traffic.

Have had the spanner/ESP and rough running once since too.

Has had a full fill of Super unleaded on Sunday so will see if this makes a difference.

Lamdba sensor only thing left to try i think.....

Update to an old thread - its been a year since we change the front Lambda sensor and had no problems since, so if you've got same syptoms as this thread, give it a go !!