Evening all 197 owner soon

Evening all, just sign up to get some info on buying a 197 to replace my winter run around this
A4492A15-6D58-4CEA-B20F-DB1993C01CE5_zpsrcvybeuj.jpg
I normally able to hit 100 in less than 4 secs so the 1.2 is a little slow in comparison!!
a friend has a ly 197 f1 with 10k on the clock he wants to sell me but I'm thinking of a silver one for around 4k mark as it will mainly be used during winter and a few tracks days over summer as snetterton is close to me and they do track evenings every wed night.

edit should probably add this is my main transport hence the 4 sec to 100 remark!
ebdfb66663fd3dc8302089239f988853_zpsg88gqvrn.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome! Not clued up on bikes, but they are all pretty fast anyway :smile:

Good luck on the 197 hunt, check all the basics on any that you view, plus the all important service history (cambelt!) , exhaust flexis etc. Plenty of good information on here.

yeap..there are a few brands out there..some more some less popular...just wanted to know what you are thinking as i've been looking into an upgrade myself..
Ah I see! I don't know really I normally run a h&r/eibach spring setup with a koni/bilistein damper, first set for me will be to upgrade the engine mounts to stop the engine moving about followed by a bush upgrade refresh! I find doing the bushes on a car of age/mileage of what I'm looking at is the best start of handling before commiting to dampers springs etc.
alot will depend on what the car drivers like to start with as I've never been in a 197 before.

You can't really compare cars and bikes. Completely different animals!

For me the Clio 197's handling is where it's at. Easily one of the better handling hot hatches out there you don't need to mess with it that much, it's pretty decent as it is! A set of good tyres is a must though.
The ONLY thing I might do to mine eventually is the 200 box with a slip diff (the 200 box has better ratios 1st-3rd and a longer 6th I believe).

But yeah, you might not be going as fast on the straights compared to the bike, but I bet you will have a just as much fun blasting about on twisty A/B roads. I honestly didn't expect it to be as good as it is and it surprised me hence I ended up getting one!