200T: EVO test Clio 200T v Corsa VXR clubsport

Completely agree with this, I love the new gearbox on the 200T but it really could/should be slightly quicker, specially on the downshift.

Also where he says about its a different car on the road from track is also true, really nice driving normally around town/commuting ect then stick it in race mode on country roads or where ever and the car changes, its really nice.. as said gearbox does let it down when competing against something else similar though.

IMO, if your after an out and out RS hot hatch go for a 200 or 182, the 200T is a mix of a calm road car and hot hatch which is why I changed as commuting in the old 200 isn't nice IMO, specially round the crap roads of London.

Interesting how he says the 200T's brakes feel better than the 4 pot brembos too.

Last edited:
That was a good watch. Didn't beat my 1:30.2 though from.last year and was 2.8 seconds off [MENTION=393]N0ddie[/MENTION]

I think it could be quicker but if you made it quicker would it not make the change not as smooth for every day use ?

Would be good if you could map the car with the mode so in race mode the gear change was quicker and in non rs mode slower but smoother then in race mode it's all out ..... Need a good mapper who can map gearboxes as well lol

May do a bit of research and find someone who can do similar things and see if their willing to try on mine?

I raised an eyebrow at the brake comment too.

That VXR seems like the trophy version in the VXR world I'm assuming?

Diff, brembos, >200BHP vs a FF 200T?

Would be good if you could map the car with the mode so in race mode the gear change was quicker and in non rs mode slower but smoother then in race mode it's all out ..... Need a good mapper who can map gearboxes as well lol

You can map the dsg gearbox to be savagely quick

Have messaged AMD to see if they'd be interested in trying something as I know they are a popular place for DSG mapping after having a look.

I raised an eyebrow at the brake comment too.

That VXR seems like the trophy version in the VXR world I'm assuming?

Diff, brembos, >200BHP vs a FF 200T?

When I drove the 200T I would say the brakes are no worse than the 4pots. They are really, really good.

I can see it's sort of an unusual test in as much as it's a run out special with everything on it compared to the start of a cars development/life cycle and one should be quicker than the other.

I like the vxr a lot, I even think it looks good, but I couldn't make myself buy one. In that video I couldn't really hear the remus exhaust either? Both sounded as quiet as the other, with the resonator being slightly more audible inside the clio

Perhaps a standard vxr vs 200t would of been a better match. I agree on some of his comments regarding the box but not all, now I've got a rhythm with it I don't even think about it and it makes for good progress, whilst making the car great to live with on a day to day basis. The box could be quicker, but probably at the expense of durability. I'd rather a more durable product that shifts far quicker than I ever could

I'm just making the point that the VXR isn't its standard model vs the 200T kinda thing.

The VXR doesn't come with brembos and a diff standard does it?! None im unsure on everything. ahhhhhhh.

I'm just making the point that the VXR isn't its standard model vs the 200T kinda thing.

The VXR doesn't come with brembos and a diff standard does it?! None im unsure on everything. ahhhhhhh.

i get what you mean standard they do not have a diff this is the newer version of the nurburgring edition not your standard corsa vxr these are about 6k difference i think from what i gather i had a racing edition and do prefer the clio to it alot more you can actaully go round a corner for a start :smiley:

I think this is a fair test to be honest. There both new cars for a start. I no the VXR is an older model but they are both similar. The corsa has a proper diff vs renaults below standard electronic one. But the clio has faster gear changes and a paddle box which is more personal preference but ultimately is faster. I think on the whole its a relevant and fair test. To be honest id be willing to bet a 197 with cup packs could achieve the same time as the 200t if not a fraction faster.

I also think that the RS brand is softer than it was, i think this reflects a lot with the general consensus of how people feel about the 200t and also its performance figures.

Im sure its a great drive but i do feel disappointed by there efforts, especially as imo ford have taken everything great about the clio in terms of fun driving experience but also made it more usable and modern and cheaper! Most people look at the clio and think 'ok thats nice....but its not what i want' lol!

And on the subject of fair, all you boys were modded with sticky tyres so no brainer you beat the times :wink:

My conclusion is simple, from taking a test drive in both the vxr is a better drivers car
new clio is a comfy everyday car

vxr is better for me however very expensive

my money on a new small hot hatch - fiesta st, best of both and better value for money

Last edited: