Exhaust blow?

Cal

Gold Member
So as I'm not to knowledgeable about cars i pulled up at work and my one mate who is the first thing he said to me is 'your exhaust is blowing' he reckons it's coming from under the drivers door side somewhere I'm not to sure what it's gonna be but I'm going to get it checked tomorrow my question is if its due to the decat pipe or the manifold that's leaking i'm going to replace them i have a 57 plate Clio R27 and noticed this for sale on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-C...417434?hash=item3f5a26945a:g:D7wAAOSwT~9Wiw7C would this be a straight fit onto my car as its from the RS200 not the 197?

also any ideas what else it could be?

cheers!

The flexis on the mainfold are known for giving up, especially if your on standard engine mounts. A lot of people fit the powerflex lower engine mount insert and a torque arm bush to prevent the engine rocking as much and reduce stress on them. But if they've already started to blow then this sadly won't help you.

It could just be the de-cat pipe wants re-seating/sealing. That's not too bad a fix. If it's the flexis the mainfold has to come off and it's quite a pain of a job apparently.

would the ebay item i linked be a straight swap? because i've been toying with the idea of removing the decat and putting a cat back on it anyway? and for the price its listed and coming from a low mileage donor it could solve 2 problems in one?

yes the ebay one would be a straight fit. As said though, you may also want to consider fitting the powerflex torque arm bush and lower engine mount insert to limit engine movement, as this is what causes the flexis to go.

Ah okay where's the best place to buy these cause i might as well get them done whilst its apart?

Vibration won't be that bad with just the torque mount and lower engine insert, it's the upper engine mount which gives the worst vibrations.

My upper engine mount is coming off I think, getting a bit fed up with the vibration. I must be getting old!

Mines settled down a lot since I first had them fitted but as soon as I open the windows and stationary / slow moving traffic is terrible I thought about removing them!

if it's your flexis then you can have them welded or get a new manifold..may not be the case though..nonetheless you 'd better be prepared to spend some cash..as to poweflex solution:think its a must given your car is 8-9 years old..im doing mine soon..just the lower one alongside with gearbox mount..
anything else will increase your vibrations in the cabin..

good luck

The Powerflex mounts are great. Yes you get a slight increase in cabin vibration but it does settle down after a thousand miles or so, I hardly notice it now. Makes the gear changes and the way it puts the power down better too, you could actually feel the engine rocking back and forth in mine before them on/off the go pedal.

Right so i picked up the manifold/cat today got home and got a bit worried that i may have ended up buying the wrong one so can anyone shed some light?
attachment.php

this is the one i brought but someone else told me i needed this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231822318779?rmvSB=true

i have a 57 Plate 197 F1 have i brought the wrong one haha?

Attachments

• 12630873_10208709677525892_309926141_o.jpg
    12630873_10208709677525892_309926141_o.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 35
You have the right manifold, the cat which you've linked to in the ebay ad is in the manifold you've bought, so nothing to worry about.

edit - also get new flexis welded in while it's off, no point paying the labour twice if they go later on.

Last edited: