Exhaust dB readings? (Supersprint ideally)

TB Rich

Paid Member
So I think I've decided to buy a Supersprint centre section to match the Supersprint 'racing' backbox I fitted a couple of weeks ago (I am not 100% happy with the fit onto the OE system). But I am torn between buying the silenced and un-silenced systems? Though the price and extra noise is drawing me to the un-silenced!!

Key is it musn't be too loud for track days (I will be keeping both cats), I can probably kiss good bye to Thruxton being a 90dB limit there, however most others seem to be about 98dB so I need to keep it under that.

Has anyone got any dB figures on Clio's, of course ideally the Supersprint setup but any fig's like the Milltek res vs non-res might help?

Ktec's list; Pro Performance exhaust with Pro performance decat: Idle 70db, 4,500rpm 86db, 6,500rpm 92db. Which might be comparable? I would have a std cat rather than a decat, but no centre silencer vs the ktec which does....hmmm?

Cheers in advance.

So I think I've decided to buy a Supersprint centre section to match the Supersprint 'racing' backbox I fitted a couple of weeks ago (I am not 100% happy with the fit onto the OE system). But I am torn between buying the silenced and un-silenced systems? Though the price and extra noise is drawing me to the un-silenced!!

Key is it musn't be too loud for track days (I will be keeping both cats), I can probably kiss good bye to Thruxton being a 90dB limit there, however most others seem to be about 98dB so I need to keep it under that.

Has anyone got any dB figures on Clio's, of course ideally the Supersprint setup but any fig's like the Milltek res vs non-res might help?

Ktec's list; Pro Performance exhaust with Pro performance decat: Idle 70db, 4,500rpm 86db, 6,500rpm 92db. Which might be comparable? I would have a std cat rather than a decat, but no centre silencer vs the ktec which does....hmmm?

Cheers in advance.

i have the ktec full system and decat and never got any issues at silverstone, my car was drowned by some of the louder cars on track I wold estimate about 96

OEM is around 89db 5500rpm, the Racing back box alone is about 3-5db louder at 3500 than that according to supersprint. (after fitting)
The Road backbox is around 2-3db louder at 3500 than oem after fitting.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's fairly loud for the OE setup but a good reference point. I have no chance of getting on Thruxton then with any kind of aftermarket setup, shame as it's by far my most local track.

If the racing backbox is 3-5dB louder, I think ditching the middle silencer might just be too much? But oh so tempting!!
I expect I will end up with a Ktec sports cat or even a decat like the Akra essentially is, so a middle box would make sense. Supersprints cat is stupid money, especially when you think it only has a 3yr warranty!

We measured my oem exhaust when I swapped it last week after 75000km and got around 91-92db at 5500rpm. (measured in 50cm height and distance with 45° to the drivers side exhaust tip)
I guess it was pretty much done... :smiley:

90db is very tough though. At how much rpm and how do they measure?

Ordered the straight through un-silenced centre. Dispatched today whereas the silenced centre had a build week of mid April, feck that.

I'll get some dB readings once it's fitted, as long as it's under 98dB I'll be happy, which I think with both cat's still in place it will be fine.