F1 moving to 1.6 blown engines.....

in 2013 apparently, they just wont sound as good will they.they will be running at 600 bhp with 100 bhp of that kers type thing and have revs limited to 10,000 rpm

still 600 bhp out a 1.6 turbo is not bad lol

if stuff like this keeps going on motorsport will shrink rapidly

hasnt the wrc done something similar?

If they are going to put more restrictions in place like this they are going to limit the entertainment. Fair enough 1.6 turbos but what I would want to see is no restriction on the BHP they can produce, and no more blue flags... If you want to get past the car in front then you have to overtake it not just wait for it to pull over!

I really wan the Arabs to think 'lets have a no limits series' where teams can do whatever they want to get around a track in the fastest possible time. I would love to see a race with 20 of these hammering around the track...

red-bull-x1-prototype-in-action.jpg

limiting them to 10,000rpm is a poor move, having seen a formula 1 car at renault world series I think the noise is one of the biggest bits of the experience!

Moving to 1.6 turbos isn't necessarily a bad thing though, think of the impact it should hopefully have on road car technology

It's all to do with stricter emissions and the environment.

I can see the 1.6 turbos being just as interesting though

I really wan the Arabs to think 'lets have a no limits series' where teams can do whatever they want to get around a track in the fastest possible time.

Great idea in theory but all that would happen is the grid would be decided in order of the bank balance of the teams.

Way back when, the cc limit was 1500 I think and that brought about the BRM V16 which is one the most amazing sounding engines ever built.
That was supercharged though.

It's all to do with stricter emissions and the environment.

I can see the 1.6 turbos being just as interesting though

It cant be solely to do with that though as 98% of F1's emissions don't come from the F1 cars themselves. I agree that it will filter through to road cars in a few years but if that was the sole intention of the switch then the FIA wouldn't be limiting certain aspects and would be encouraging teams to run more efficient engines.

...think of the impact it should hopefully have on road car technology

but "what" impact - just look at past technology f1 has used...its come from the road cars - abs/traction control/active suspension etc etc

the engine formula should be "free" the only limit being the amount of "energy" used to complete a race distance :wink:

now that could/would benefit road cars !

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Worst news ever! i hope its a horrible nasty malicious romour! or im completely giving up on F1 and will rely soley on moto GP for my kicks.

Also good for development? no thanks. a 1.6t? i dont want to live in a world of dump valves and 4pots! i want big screaming light weight v8's that reverberate of narrow streets and say i am the voice of god and its only natural that you should be aroused by my seductive tones.

Pete

Also good for development? no thanks. a 1.6t? i dont want to live in a world of dump valves and 4pots! i want big screaming light weight v8's that reverberate of narrow streets and say i am the voice of god and its only natural that you should be aroused by my seductive tones.

Pete

+1

:jase2:

but "what" impact - just look at past technology f1 has used...its come from the road cars - abs/traction control/active suspension etc etc

the engine formula should be "free" the only limit being the amount of "energy" used to complete a race distance :wink:

Car manufacturers use a lot of technology developed in F1, I know this from an IMechE talk I went to. For example KERS technology will make it onto road cars at some point.

Theres loads of F1 tech in performance cars, ceramic brakes, carbon fibre bodywork etc. which may make their way down to normal road cars if manufacturers see a need for it

Car manufacturers use a lot of technology developed in F1, I know this from an IMechE talk I went to. For example KERS technology will make it onto road cars at some point.

Theres loads of F1 tech in performance cars, ceramic brakes, carbon fibre bodywork etc. which may make their way down to normal road cars if manufacturers see a need for it

i still think theres more the other way - especially over the last few years

as for "kers" this is already out-there - quite a few makers have the technology already to bolt on - to reduce carbon footprint etc

Agree. Give them 100L of fuel see if they can race for the whole weekend on 600bhp.

I did Bahrain and Silverstone grand Prix this year, and I have to admit the sound is so much part of the whole atmosphere. Right from when you have your seats on race day, and you hear the revs from the Pits as the cars are getting ready. Sends tingles down your spine. And when 20 cars come towards you after the first corner at the start, pedal to the metal.... that sound is incomparable.
1.6 turbo sounds so boring to me!!!

i dont think the engine should be limited, so long as the cars all weigh the same after the race who cares. Would be better if they all had unique setups. Imagine someone ran a diesel! Nitrous, hybrid who cares...