FAO RUK - stearing column fire

Hi Guys

If someone from Renault could get back to me on this it would be appreciated.

Left my house this morning, got to the top of the road and smoke started pouring out from my steering column followed by flames.

Im not a happy chappy as i had my partner and 2 year old son in the car. I think there may be a serious flaw in the electrical system somewhere as why was this obvious overload not stopped by the car's fuses?

I don't seem to be the only one that has happened too.

http://www.usedcarmart.co.uk/forum/threads/2184-Renault-Clio-Serious-fault-with-electrics

Car is 56 plate 197.

Await response.

Not good -but as said above you need to contact Renault directly

The link you have referenced actually is recognised as an unsafe URL!! possible Malware or Java Exploit

Have you got any pictures?

Last edited:
errrrm have you picked up the phone and called Renault?

Why would you post that on a forum waiting for a response?? I'd be straight on the phone!

errrrm have you picked up the phone and called Renault?

Why would you post that on a forum waiting for a response?? I'd be straight on the phone!

I have already rang them, they said they would ring back, of which they haven't! I would have thought with the issue of a spontaneous fire in one of their cars they would ring straight back but they obviously have better things to do.

Luckily i have calmed down a bit now but was fuming this morning, not a nice thing to happen when you have your missus and 2 year old in the car which is filling with toxic smoke!

Last edited:
My mates 197 caught fire behind the dash was the wiper switch that caused it when he put the wipers on that's when it happened

That's terrible, how did you put it out?

Why so quick to blame Renault though? It's hardly a brand new car, anything could have been done in it's life time by previous owners, garages etc to make the wiring unsafe.

This is insane! I hope you and your family are alright and hope that the issue gets resolved quickly. You should post here if you ever get an explanation too, see what they come up with! Like Chris says though, perhaps could be something to do with previous owners dodgy wiring? Either way...I guess you have to look at these things like it could have been alot worse :/