197: First Impressions - A weekend with my new French Mistress

[FONT=&quot]As per my thread last week, Saturday came around slowly, somewhat excited and nervous about picking up my new to me 2008 plate 197 Cup. Having read the forum about gearbox issues and only having paid a small deposit, I had the dreaded feeling that I had not tested the car fully, but was I willing to walk away.... [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thankfully the owner picked me up in it from the station and drove me 15 mins back to the garage where I could see that the gearbox was fine. With the thought of a potential large bill over my head, I think my relief was evident. The car drove smoothly through the gears and having being detailed inside and out she looked mint.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After doing the paperwork and the garage owner giving me a sob story about the cost of the repair to the drivers Recaro (he got quoted £150 but set him back £270 apparently but still part of the deal) I then climbed in and set myself up ready for my 70 mile drive home.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Traffic, Traffic, Traffic, sheet rain, horse boxes, hail, strong winds, standing water greeted me - everything just seemed to be against me so I just had to cruise. This gave me a chance to play with my limited Cup drivers aids and tune my radio. First thing I noticed were my comical robot dancing windscreen wipers that would just stop randomly mid screen when on and would literally just stop at various angles when switched off – timing seems to be the key. I also noticed that when driving in a straight line on a non cambered motorway my steering wheel points about 10 degrees to the left which having rented a Renault Espace on a Leman trip years ago had exactly the same – put it down to a French thing as it doesn’t affect the drive. I am also the new owner of three different rattles/squeaks from in the car, one by the glove box, one from the drivers door/window casing and one from the top left of the back of the car by the seatbelt hanger. All in all I quite like the simple set up of the no fuss dash and with a can of silicone spray will resolve these imminently. Love the Recaros and the driving position but that’s pretty much a given.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Once over the Dartford Bridge and with the sun making an appearance, it was now a chance to have some fun. WOW, with roundabouts and sweeping fast corners the rattles became a distance memory and I was grinning from ear to ear –she came alive after 5,000 rpm! The gear box is sweet, short and tight – just the way I like it and with a great little droan on the downshift. Having owned an 320bhp Impreza running Bilstein PSS9 fully adjustable suspension, anti lift kit, and all the strut braces imaginable I got to say how amazing the steering, turn in and general feel of my little 197 is. Ive driven, Scoobys, Evos, RS4s, and even a Gallardo, and I don’t think I have ever driven anything that well set up straight out of the box that is not four wheel drive. The feedback, grip, lack of roll is just astounding and to my surprise I received an added bonus as the car has been fitted with Pagid race pads which coupled with the Brembos gives oodles of confidence and amazing performance. Gotta say that with all this rain washing out the pot holes, jeez you have to be eagle eyed as I almost lost a few fillings on the way home.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sunday early morning was spent playing down the country roads until every fat bird in jodhpurs and numpty in spandex got on their horse or bike and ruined my fun. Car warmed up quickly from cold (freshly serviced) and the gearbox loosened quickly. Cracking fun up and down the gears.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]80 miles to a quarter of a tank – I can live with that.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All in all this is one impressive little package that is thrilling to drive when pushing it and does everything it says on the tin with gusto. Given that I was requested for a white car and that my wife always wanted a Clio, I think I have done quite well out of this and am very pleased with my (wife’s) new little run around. Even with the slightly harsh round town ride she loves it and I think she summed it up better than I while hitting the rev limiter in 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] – “this car is naughty”. Lets just hope I can take Naughty to the track someday.... [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Few questions if I may:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The car has the black Speedlines – and on closer inspection has a few scuff marks. What would fellow owners advise paint wise to touch them up?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Looking at the gallery – love the look of the black Renault emblems on the front and rear of the car – where would I get them from and are they a replacement or stick on?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Cup steering with no cruise control is knackered – would a non cup one with the red tag at the top fit even though it has cruise control functions?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I don’t seem to have the chrome pipes at the back – is there a tried and tested aftermarket attachment available?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That’s about it, thinking of giving up drinking to spend more time with her [/FONT]:lol:

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fishy[/FONT]

Brilliant write up! Enjoyed that

welcome for a long stay on here it sounds :smile:

Hi and glad you like the car. I agree, the turn in feels exactly like a hot hatch should.

Not sure about the steering or speed lines but the chrome pipe look can be obtained by purchasing aftermarket exhaust tips. Can either opt for genuine renault ones (I believe £30-£40) or the cheap and cheerful ebay tips that work out between £15-£25, both give the pronounced exhaust look like the 200. With the badges you can either remove and respray or, purchase clip on covers. I have had a quick look on ebay and they are all looking at £99 which I think is extortionate so a quick search on here should provide a better answer.

Also people are sometimes selling them on here so might be worth checking out the for sale section. Hope this has been at least a little helpful.

Enjoyed that as well! Especially the fillings bit :smiley:

Exhaust tips are from Ebay I will link you up when I'm on lunch. The Renault diamonds can be removed and sprayed yourself or you can buy some that have already been done. Unfortunately the front one can only be removed with the bumper off I believe. The rear should just pop off.

Ha ha cheers.

One thing I forgot to say was - what a noddy position to mount the 12v charger - had to run my sat nav lead round the back of my chair - interesting to say the least getting out at the petrol station!!

Would like some of the black diamonds but dunno about £99...

Yeah its a pain in the arse when connecting a sat nav, I open up the glove box and tuck the wire in there then close it so its neat.

If you've got the patience mate you can sand them down and spray them in a weekend. Save yourself £80

The black diamond covers are normally £20 I think but the seller puts the price to £99 when out of stock. I purchased some around 6 months ago and they are still going strong on the car, a good fit too.

Would like some of the black diamonds but dunno about £99...

They're usually around £25 on eBay so at £99 I'd say they're out of stock (this saves the seller re-listing) . You can get genuine carbon fibre one from streamline carbon for less than £99 I believe.

Been on mine for over a year and polish up lovely with a bit of Auto-Glym metal polish.

Erm pass on that one I got my brother to fit them for me whilst I was having a beer spectating :smiley:

Nice write up!

Where in Kent are you from? Can we expect to see you on future London / South East meets now you have your car? :smile:

Ha ha - de ja vue. Im from Bromley.

Would be up for a meet, however I cant make the Ace get together as im shooting.

Used to go to meets at the Grasshopper in Westerham - massive car park and good food. U guys use it?

Ha ha - de ja vue. Im from Bromley.

Would be up for a meet, however I cant make the Ace get together as im shooting.

Used to go to meets at the Grasshopper in Westerham - massive car park and good food. U guys use it?

Bromley isnt far at all!

The grasshopper is a great location - its where the south east piston heads meets are held - if you arent already, get yourself signed up and name down! http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...396755&nmt=PH+South+East+Gathering+-+01/04/14

Your wipers might be because your wiper mechanism is seizing up. I would sort it out sooner rather than later. Mine stopped working completely at about midnight on a trip from Brighton to London in torrential rain. With a bit of wd40 and some patience you should be able to fix it. There is a how to on here. Don't do what I did though left the wipers on while removing as they were seized, took one side off and it sprung to life and slammed onto my windscreen cracking it pretty bad