First post - Brand new vs used 200

New vs Old

• Shiny new Clio 200

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Shiny used Clio 200

Votes: 29 80.6%

• Total voters
I would go for pre registered or nearly new. You will still have some warranty cover and someone else has already taken the loss in price.

I bought new and the only advantages this has over a nearly new one is knowing you the first owner and knowing it hasn't been ragged, I'd say buy second hand all day

One thing that's not been touched on is Renault and their ability to sort niggles.

When I cought my 172 Cup new, I had wiring loom issues, squeaking seat issues, squeaking heater fan issues, knocking suspension issues which were all sorted under warranty.

Getting Renault to do that for me, and the inconvenience of it having to go back to them several times over to get it all rectified was a royal pain in the a**e.

Buying at 2-3 years old means you will still have warranty left to cover the unforseen, but things like I experienced will have been dealt with by the first owner.

For me I bought new, as I wanted a specific set of options and wanted something no one else had abused.

My car listed for around £20,400, I paid £16,700, just by ringing around.

As mentioned you will miss the depreciation by buying used. Although with the imminent arrival of the mk4 RS clio at the time your looking to buy, you might be able to get a mega bargain on something new!

If you need any convincing about going for used, take a look at my 12,000 mile ownership thread to see how much it can cost to keep one of these on the road.

Even stripping out costs associated with the two trackdays I've done, you're looking at £750 per month all in. That's from me buying mine at 2 years old with 18k miles on it at a cost of £10k.

I dread to think how the numbers would work out if I'd bought a new one!
Wow! That's an insane amount of cash to have spent/lost in less than a year! I keep track of my incomings and outgoings every month down to the penny, and have budgeted for fuel and insurance, but no repairs or mods or anything like that! Your insurance is really cheap btw, I'm jealous!

used - extend warranty if worried.
Anyone know hows this works, is it from Renault or from a third party? I'd be really interested in doing this if the cost is sensible, seeing as everyone seems to be mentioning that something has gone wrong on their car!

I bought new and the only advantages this has over a nearly new one is knowing you the first owner and knowing it hasn't been ragged, I'd say buy second hand all day
Yep this is the one and only reason why I am a bit sceptical of buying a car like this used :\

Used! Im fed up of essentially doing the shake down on my car for the next owner!
Are they that bad?! :worried:

Jamz72 said:
Anyone know hows this works, is it from Renault or from a third party? I'd be really interested in doing this if the cost is sensible, seeing as everyone seems to be mentioning that something has gone wrong on their car!
About £370 on the 200 to extend for a year through renault. Can be bought via the renault UK website IIRC.

For me I bought new, as I wanted a specific set of options and wanted something no one else had abused.

My car listed for around £20,400, I paid £16,700, just by ringing around.

As mentioned you will miss the depreciation by buying used. Although with the imminent arrival of the mk4 RS clio at the time your looking to buy, you might be able to get a mega bargain on something new!
That's a decent discount! If I could get one new for £15k I'd definitely think about it, £14k and I don't think I'd be able to refuse. Not sure how realistic these prices are, but you never know, especially if the mk4 is coming out around that time as well.

About £370 on the 200 to extend for a year through renault. Can be bought via the renault UK website IIRC.
Yeah £377.. don't really understand the bit below off the Renault website though, statement seems to contradict itself? I assume they're saying it's a one off £377 up until 4 years or 100k miles. Then £377 per year from then on up until 8 years or 100k miles? How long is the standard warranty?

Renault Extended Warranty provides peace of mind until your vehicle is 4 years old (or reaches 100,000 miles from new, whichever occurs first).

Should you wish, you'll be able to take out extended warranty cover each year after that until your vehicle is 8 years old or has covered 100,000 miles from new. We'll write to you before your extended warranty expires with details of how to do this.

Renault Extended Warranty is not available once your manufacturer warranty has expired.