First track day in my 200?

I've got my first track day on the 29th..is there anything I should change on the car? Or have you got any advice?

Check your fluids etc before going. Check all your wheel nuts are tight.
Check your tyre pressures, as after a few laps they will increase.
And have fun :smile:

'Another important tip to remember with regards to the brakes is when you come in for a break, before you do so have a cool down lap where you are not pushing the car as fast, this gives the brakes time to cool down slightly with some air flowing through them. Also, when you get back into the pits or parking area DO NOT put your handbrake on. Leave the brakes to cool down for a bit. If you put the handbrake straight on you could find that the brake pads stick to the disk when you come to remove the handbrake.'

Courtesy of http://www.driving-days.co.uk/track-day-preparation.php

'Another important tip to remember with regards to the brakes is when you come in for a break, before you do so have a cool down lap where you are not pushing the car as fast, this gives the brakes time to cool down slightly with some air flowing through them. Also, when you get back into the pits or parking area DO NOT put your handbrake on. Leave the brakes to cool down for a bit. If you put the handbrake straight on you could find that the brake pads stick to the disk when you come to remove the handbrake.'

Good bit of info! Cheers dude!

Warm the car up properly, warm it down properly, the same as you would if you were going to the gym really.

- Don't be too nervous
- Don't spend all your time in your mirrors, its no good knowing to within an inch where the nearest car is if you end up missing your own braking and turning point then running off the track. People will expect you to take the racing line, be confident and try not to hesitate when moving around the track
- Make sure your cars in good general order (correct pressures, oil, coolant, decent brakes and tyres)
- Make sure you have your Tow Eye fitted
- Wear a long sleeve top
- Take both parts of your driving licence
- If its available, get tuition, it'll help you relax and improve your driving, it'll be the most worthwhile thing you do all day

And have fun!! :thumbsup:

Don't spend too long on track.

This is what i had to do to the meg this morning after spending too long on track. They rumbled/knocked very badly when driven.

Front off disk, note the blue on the disk after some heavy use! groves were total chocked with dust.

5koa6h.jpg

Pads off and not looking good for 6,000 miles.

2v004y8.jpg

Cleaned up using sand paper

qp34ae.jpg

Don't look much better but they are to the touch.

2q2mp75.jpg

Drivers side were not so bad but still not good.

Again i've scorched the disk

349521c.jpg

pads had faired a little better

120hykw.jpg

dust from all 4 pads

34eev0i.jpg

Time to refit

ayni2o.jpg

all good again and no rumble/knocking.

few, Roll on brands!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you put the handbrake straight on you could find that the brake pads stick to the disk when you come to remove the handbrake.

NEVER put the hand break on. Its not so much the pad sticking it is the break fluid boiling as it sits getting heat off the pad.

I would say take a tyre pressure gauge. Go out for the first run and when you come back in, check the pressures straight away. I then lower the pressures whilst they are still hot to my normal road levels (33psi ish). Check again after the second run and adjust a bit if needed, then they are normally ok for the rest of the day. Remember to pump them back up to normal road levels before you leave!
Works for me :thumbup1:

Just to back up what Mentalpen said, I have to do the same thing after cooking my brakes. I did about 1/2 lap cool down before pitting but still had smoke coming off the pads in the pits, can't stess enough how important it is to do at least 1 lap cool down.

I have deposits all over my discs, hoping they will sort themselves out as the discs are £500 2-piece jobbies!

Thats a common problem on our cars, sticking pads but the main reason to be carefull with leaving the hand brake on with hot brakes is that metal expands when hot.

So putting the handbrake on and then the discs cooling down releases the pad slightly so less pressure on the pads and a less effective hand brake, then the car can move.

It's also a problem if you were sat with the brakes on after a session with hot brakes, your concentrating heat in that one spot were the hot pads are touching the hot discs.

As has been said, do a cool down lap back into the paddock and park up with it in gear with the handbrake off.

And have fun. :thumbup1:

My problem is it is too much fun!

At a point I was doing 1 hour with 3 cooling laps after 20 mins.

Bugger it. I can get pads for the meg for £66 so I got £130 worth of fun.

I'd also get used to sitting close to the steering wheel. I sit with my arms stretched so that the wheel is half way down my lower arm.

It is not a nice feeling to start with but the last thing you need to be is wrestling it at high speed.

I now drive like it all the time especially with where I live.

That depends on how your discs and pads are now? Your gonna put a decent amount of use on them but you wont scrub through a set of pads or discs in a day unless your a total lunatic.