Fitting 225-45-17 to std wheels?

thinks theres few on here got that size fitted - shouldnt make to much of a problem

What are the effects on handling, performance, etc. ? Simply put - if I can get 215 and 225 size tires for the same price - what should I choose (MPG non issue).

What are the effects on handling, performance, etc. ? Simply put - if I can get 215 and 225 size tires for the same price - what should I choose (MPG non issue).

Probably best to stick with what is recommended by the manufacturer.
I went up a size, because where I live 225/45/17's are half the price of 215/45/17's...

Please explain your answer ...

I'm in South Africa, and the only car on our roads that uses a 215/45/17 is the Clio.
Whereas every second car here is a Merc, BMW or Audi which use 225/45/17. Therefore there is an abundance of these tyres available and they are a lot cheaper!

To put in in perspective. A set of 215/45/17 for my car were R11,200 (1140 Euro)
Where a set of 225/45/17 are R4000 (405 Euro)

I am also thinking about going 225/45/17 - the cupped megane 250 also has wider tires with the same profile, the tire has got some thicker looks which I like, like the 18s on the megane cup vs non-cup, optically there just seems to be not enough rubber on the wheel :smile: though handling wise it would be probably best to keep what is OEM recommended I know, I'm still fighting with the idea :smile:

I just changed to Bridgestones RE050 225/45 and I'm not sure if it's the increase in tire width or the tire brand but the initial turn in and steering feedback are not as sharp anymore

it does brake a lot better though

Wider tyres will generally make the car more prone to tramining, I wouldn also stick to the OE size unless you have a good reason for changing.

225/45/17 in my case are a disaster - they "ate" all of my plastics under the arches on the front wheels.

The car is lowered on KW V3 and with 17mm spacers and on R888 with the bigger side walls than the "normal" tires.

WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THIS DIMENSION.