Flat Spot Worse Than Normal

Thanks guys. Gonna book it in for a full service and see if it improves things. If not I'll look at a re-map.

Before you go spending money on remaps and/or changing exhausts have a look at this little fix --> http://www.clio197.net/forum/showth...aded-FLAT-SPOT&p=445291&viewfull=1#post445291

Checked my map sensor today and it's loose as anything, zip tied it down for now but going to get some easy gasket or something to make sure it's 100% sealed. Seemed to improve it but I will know in the morning if it's worked as my car was quite bad from a cold start for the first few minutes of driving.

Worth a try for 5-10mins of work. Just be careful removing the sensor, people have said it's best to do it after a run so it's warm and the plastic won't be as brittle. A few people have managed to snap the sensor ending up having to remove the inlet manifold to get the bit that fell in out lol.

Hey Matt, it says I don't have permission to view that page :worried:

Could be plugs or it could be a MAP sensor? I'd change the plugs first as they should have been changed twice by now given the age.

I believe the spark plug change is 36k miles with no time limit. So really they should only have been changed once by now.

Have it booked in for Wednesday so hopefully that'll sort it. My mechanic mentioned something about platinum spark plugs? Does the 197 use platinum ones?

So I emailed a performance company www.optidrive.ie about re-mapping. Here's what they came back with..

Thank you for the info.

We are very competitive with remapping naturally aspirated engines and only charge €220 that includes a custom built map designed for the car and covered with money back guarantee and service warranty.

Although it is a naturally aspirated engine, remapping this engine will give you an additional 15 bhp increase in power and 22 Nm of torque, reduce flat spots as well as improve throttle response and acceleration.

If a full service doesn't sort out the problem I might just give this a go. What do you guys think? Is there anything I should ask for or make sure of?

Last edited:
That can be easily 'manufactured'. Your money, but the silly +15bhp claim would put me off straight away. Save your money.

Good luck with the service, I hope it does sort it for you.

I would have to agree with montana about the bhp claims though - I would take that with a pretty hefty pinch of salt! Not necessarily a reason to not use that company, but them quoting figures like that for these cars suggests they don't know a large amount about these engines and their capabilities...

Good luck with the service, I hope it does sort it for you.

I would have to agree with montana about the bhp claims though - I would take that with a pretty hefty pinch of salt! Not necessarily a reason to not use that company, but them quoting figures like that for these cars suggests they don't know a large amount about these engines and their capabilities...
That's what I'm thinking. 197's are very rare here in Ireland and its unlikely any company has dealt with one before. There's nothing too wrong with my car but I do think its lost a bit of its kick over the last few months. Fingers crossed the service will sort that out.

That's what I'm thinking. 197's are very rare here in Ireland and its unlikely any company has dealt with one before. There's nothing too wrong with my car but I do think its lost a bit of its kick over the last few months. Fingers crossed the service will sort that out.

Iirc there was a thread about irish remappers, theres one thats very good and one thats not or something along them lines..

Car back from service. Feels tighter and the power definitely kicks in sooner. I think I've just become accustomed to the power over the last few months and it doesn't quite have the surprise it used to!