Floaty handling

200cup andy

Platinum Member
I know people are going to say its winter but i know that, and my car still feels off.

Tyre pressures are bang on, loads of tread left, nothing feels broken. It just randomly feels like im driving on ice some times but on bone dry roads, this happened on the A14 and scared the crap out of me.
Its also like you could just spin the steering and the car wouldnt turn in.

The only other thing i could trace it to is my tracking is a bit out at the moment and it pulls to the n/s so i have to hold the steering slightly. Could i be overheating the ps motor?
Propperly clutching at straws as it dont feel like my car at the moment.

Id say tracking. And when i say tracking, i dont mean some generic wheel/exhaust place's version of "tracking" i mean a proper 4 wheel allignment tracking place that will provide you with a printout before and after showing what they have changed.

I used: http://www.alignmycar.co.uk to locate the nearest place to me that has a "HUNTER" system available.

You'll find most 197s pull to the left slightly, it's well documented on the site if you wish to confirm. Mines certainly done it for years with no adverse affects.

You'll find most 197s pull to the left slightly, it's well documented on the site if you wish to confirm. Mines certainly done it for years with no adverse affects.

Does it not accelerat tyre wear? mine does it after the dealer fitted a new drop link but it did'nt do it on the test drive, they are having it back to make sure it's all ok.

I feel the same in mine in the cold weather. Really dont want to push it as it doesn't give me confidence like it does in the summer. Cant say mine has ever pulled to one side though, except for road camber.

I would suspect it is just the tyres stiffening up due to the temp.

Sure I've read somewhere that ''summer'' tyres like the Contis suffer from a severe drop-off in grip at temperatures below 7*C due to their compound etc..

does it 'wave' side to side when you are braking. - > could indicate front brakes seizing in the caliper mine felt like this until i stripped n greased them.

also the tyres do spin up more in this kind of weather making the car feel more loose.

Nope arrow straight, im an ex subaru mechanic so ive done all the normal checks. Im tempted to drop the pressures a bit more to get some heat in the tyres. Theres a hunter alignment place about 30 seconds from my house, think ill have a trip up there this avo.

ive noticed the spinning up it feels like torque steer in mine weaving a bit on acceleration

Last edited:
as they say in mythbusters "well theres ur problem"
overall toe was -3.6mm
lh -1.5mm rh -2.2mm

now set to
overall -1mm

loads better it pops the back wheel off the floor on roundabouts again rather than washing out

as they say in mythbusters "well theres ur problem"
overall toe was -3.6mm
lh -1.5mm rh -2.2mm

now set to
overall -1mm

loads better it pops the back wheel off the floor on roundabouts again rather than washing out

am i to assume that -1mm is overall and BEFORE adjustments it was -1. left and -2.2 right

so what is lh and rh side now -0.5 ?

am i to assume that -1mm is overall and BEFORE adjustments it was -1. left and -2.2 right

so what is lh and rh side now -0.5 ?

yep -1 is now the overall where before was -3.6

think it was about -1.4 and -2.2 before and now its -0.4 and -0.6 still better than it was by miles

hours work and £30 so not bad better than silly money for tyres