Food shopping..

Tesco online for my monthly bulk and non-perishable shop.
Morrison's for my top up shops as it's only round the corner.

I have tried the local Aldi once or twice but I wasn't that impressed with it. Both times the fruit and veg I bought went off very quickly, talking a couple of days at the most. A lot of their fresh stuff was very short dated too. Maybe I just went in on bad days but overall it wasn't a nice shopping experience, the store was dimly lit and just looked dirty with things piled up everywhere. Think I'll pay a bit more and stick to what I know lol.

I read an article once about why in Aldi stores there are crates and other things piled up everywhere, at random. The whole environment is geared towards you getting out of there as fast as possible - ie. they want a quick turnover of customers, hence the very fast checkout process also. The stuff in the aisles is designed to get on your nerves, so you don't spend too much time dawdling.

They are a massive supermarket chain and their share of the market is growing all the time - it does seem like they have very untidy and haphazard stores, however it's all done on purpose, for a reason (it's the same in every branch). Quite clever really.

**Obviously if the whole thing makes people shop elsewhere, then they've failed :smiley:

Reactions: sevenfourate
My wife is a serial hoarder / collector of c-rap Jimmy. In ALDI she loves to route through the boxes stacked up in the aisle for anything someone else has missed as a potential bargain.

Christ....she spends hours in there.

Does this mean she's too smart for them.......they've outsmarted themselves....or their whole thought process has passed her by ? As a company policy I find it quite bizarre to be honest.

Interesting though !

Reactions: Jimmy
What p*sses me off about supermarket tactics is when they purposefully move items that you know where they were, just so you have to go searching for them and in there eyes, potentially buying more things!

McDonalds used to use a similar trick with the deco in their restaurants, being the same harsh yellow and red of their logo. Designed to attract people in like insects to a flame but not exactly comfortable to sit in and eat lol.

What p*sses me off about supermarket tactics is when they purposefully move items that you know where they were, just so you have to go searching for them and in there eyes, potentially buying more things!

That's EXACTLY why they do it, re-merchandising it's called. They get plans down from head office about exactly where to move things and even how to lay it out on the shelves. It's all done on computer designed to take you past certain high value and popular items. It's why in most supermarkets either the milk and/or bread will always be at the back of the store furthest from the entrance/exit! Aldi and Lidl might want to get you in and out as fast as possible but the others want to try and keep you there in the hopes you buy/spend more with them.

Sainsbury's. There's 2 really close to my house and the one is a nice big store. Can get everything from there.

Similar Thread Suggestions