Front Suspension Imbalance NCT/MOT

poisonblue

Paid Member
Have a 2008 Clio 197 Cup and yesterday failed it's NCT (Irish MOT) on front axle Suspension Imbalance - this is after having two new front shocks fitted about 3 months ago (one had a weep, changed the pair).
I'm throwing the results in here too so people can see.

Usually in the past this has been shocks for me when it's happened (one shock good, other on the way out), a friend mentioned it could be top mounts, but I thought I'd hear knocking if that were the case.

I'm aware the Clio has a fairly complex front suspension setup, are there any usual suspects for this kind of discrepancy to check when we get it up on a lift?

1698833380954.png

Never even knew that was part of the test - it certainly isn't over here.
For the cost of top mounts, I would replace them. They can perish and split long before that actually start to knock.

I have a set of top mounts ordered, one of the things I love about Renault is a lot of the parts prices are damn cheap!

Reactions: RSRowe
Hi mate, good to see someone with 197 in Ireland, can I know where you go to get your car service? Like genuine mechanics with experience in Renault cars and priced reasonably? I got quote for cambelt, waterpump, dephaser, aux belt and coolant changed for 1500euro... Insane

There is a very good lad in Limerick, I'll send you on his FB profile.
1500 is actually cheaper than the main dealer here quoted me, but I got Eoin to do it for a much much fairer rate, he was rebuilding a box for me at the same time so I'm not sure exactly how much for just the timing service

Reactions: hwa0725