Fuel tank level sender resistance readings.

krash67

Gold Member
Does anybody have the resistance readings of the fuel tank sender unit for full & empty.
Fitting independent fuel gauge on my standalone ecu upgrade.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Subscribed! Would love to know this too, need to know for my dta ecu and aim dash...

From what I can gather you could just measure the resistance when full and use that as the resistor value (if your using a potential divider circuit to measure the voltage)

This means when the tank is full the voltage reading would be either 0v or 5v depending on how you configure it (or if your using 12v/5v)

Then hope the resistance changes linearly as the level drops, you should then be able to plot it

Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just trying to do it the easy way without having to un necessarily filling the tank. Looking at pulling the pump unit to do a physical measurement.

I have a few pump at home i can measure for you.

When the tanks empty it will hangt on it's stop so easy to measure, however i have no idea how high it sits when full....

But you can measure that yourself after you've filled up

Brill, can you provide the lower level reading as well as the higher level one as well.
I'll figure out a suitable range.

Thanks

321ohm empty and 21ohm full. It's hits inbuilt stops so i think it'll match what it does in a fuel tank

Good one. I think the tank will have some fuel under the empty stop. But the gauge will be at zero. The warning light will be set at a reading just above 320 0hms.

321ohms is empty empty on the dashc and yes it will still have a bit of fuel left as oems always build in a safety margin

You'll have to get your calculator out. I'm just sticking to a simple level scale. I'll judge what litres represent what level when I tip in 5 litre can in.

Reactions: Legend@wheels
these are the resistance values from clio service manual, f4r is not listed (don't know why) but should match the values from left table from what have been said already.
With 5v feed even with best resistor possible the voltage readings are norowly spread, so not very accurate (plus there's no damping to the readings as fuel flows inside the tank while driving). Have to check what resistance values were taken for my AIM dash but with 1k ohm resistor dash showed me a tad below half a tank while on the gas station I filled it with almost 50 litres :wink: but, better this than nothing.

Attachments

• fuel tank sensor.jpg
    fuel tank sensor.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: TB Rich
I have the same sevice PDF, never thought to look in there. But thanks.
Im shuving 12v into it and so will provide a wider mA range than 5v would.

I have the same sevice PDF, never thought to look in there. But thanks.
Im shuving 12v into it and so will provide a wider mA range than 5v would.

12v from battery? if so, voltage changes with rpm so even less accurate readings compared to 5v feed.

I'm not fussed about accuracy. the fluctuations won't be a issue as I just found a "smart" unit which you teach it where the stops are and is does the rest, so probs solved.