Garaging the R27 over winter

Well its almost time to park up my R27 in the garage over winter. My main reason for doing this is because I live out in the sticks and the hill I live on is not too friendly in winter!! So I have bought a little run around for winter time. The tax runs out on the Clio at the end of the month so there is no real point in taxing it again until next year now.
Has anyone got any tips on storing the clio as I have never done it before i.e. Tyres, battery, fuel etc.............

i was considering this myself....

dont leave it with the handbrake on

use a smart charger if you can to keep the battery in tip top condition - if you cant make sure you can get in via the passenger door if the battery gives up!!!

put a few more psi in the tyres as they will loose pressure whilst being stood and you dont want the tyres to be too flat

consider putting a cover over it to stop dirt/dust etc and help keep it insulated slightly so it doesnt freeze on the inside

Last edited:
i was considering this myself....

dont leave it with the handbrake on

use a smart charger if you can to keep the battery in tip top condition - if you cant make sure you can get in via the passenger if the battery gives up!!!

put a few more psi in the tyres as they will loose pressure whilst being stood and you dont want the tyres to be too flat

consider putting a cover over it to stop dirt/dust etc and help keep it insulated slightly so it doesnt freeze on the inside

Very good advice. :thumbup1:

Mine has been stood since the beginning of August in my garage (we've just moved house so all my time is taken on decorating at the minute). I start mine once a week with the garage door open and leave it ticking over for 20 minutes or so.

You are best off not starting it periodically, just starting it to just let it idle won't do it any good, the exhaust will get condensation in it but won't get warm enough to evaporate it and you stand a greater chance of coking up your plugs.

Aside from what Si has said above, I would recommend disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery and either supporting the car on axle stands or inflating the tyres to close to the maximum pressure, less to do with them loosing pressure, more to do with avoiding tyre deformation.

For longer term storage there are more things that you can do like protecting rubber parts with vaseline or similar and I'm sure I read something about putting a small amount of oil down the bores, can't recall why though.

I store mine over winter in the garage, never use my car in the winter.

I've never had trouble with the battery going dead. I keep the handbrake off and chock it. Once flatspotted a continential 2 years ago, had it replaced. Just roll it a couple foot back and fourth once a month.

I wish i was in the position to not use mine through the winter. Ralphy has a good point about keeping the weight off the tyres. A friend of mine down the road from me has a CSL M3 which stays off the tyres through winter.

Cheers for the advice guys. I will be getting a cover for it and probably will just put some extra air in the tyres and roll it forward and back every month rather than put the car on stands. Got a few weeks of fun in it yet until the tax runs out, I am gonna miss it over the winter. Especially knowing its sat in the garage begging to be driven :s

Lol...its not a vintage Bentley. Its a bloody clio!!!!! Furthermore, in this country the seasons\climate is all messed up anyway. Garaging a clio, whats the world coming to.....

Lol...its not a vintage Bentley. Its a bloody clio!!!!! Furthermore, in this country the seasons\climate is all messed up anyway. Garaging a clio, whats the world coming to.....

I know its not a bloody Bentley! But as said, its where I live. I'd rather run the risk of shunting a cheap run around instead of my Clio. Its not rocket science!

I know its not a bloody Bentley! But as said, its where I live. I'd rather run the risk of shunting a cheap run around instead of my Clio. Its not rocket science!

Lol...Huddersfield? So you live somewhere thats got a big hill. So people buy crappy cars for the winter, just in case they crash their decent ones....God help us all.

Think you are being a bit harsh Litchy, mine doesn't go anywhere when there is snow; it gets used in most other conditions but you struggle to get anything 2WD out of our road when there is snow, and even a harsh frost can make the road very tricky of a morning.

Given that we are forecast another harsh winter, a set of winter tyres will cost over £400, I am considering getting a 4WD smoker for the winter, ideally something with plenty of test and good rubber. Plus it could be handy for chucking the bikes on the back, maybe even towing a track car...

Mines going in the garage this winter for the 1st time. Doesnt matter what car it is, if its your pride and joy then why not? Keeps the car in better condition. Gonna bring it out for the odd sunny day but in the snow mine is dreadful, especially lowered, its undrivable! Didnt move for 3/4 weeks in all over the snowy period we had.

Don't blame you for garaging it but I'm like Finlayj it's my pride and joy but I only got one car and it has to do what it was bought for it's done 3 winters now no probs and I live half way up a hill
Wish I could put it away though just so the wife couldn't use it :lol:

Doing the same with mine, only difference is I don't have a garage so I have purchased a quite expensive outdoor car cover where my car will live for the next 9 months.

Like others have said give the car a good clean before you put it away, pump the tyres to max PSI so stop flat spots or put the car on axle stands and remove the wheels.

Might want to purchase a smart charger as well, just to keep the battery in tip top condition.

Some cars spends months sat on dealer forecourts or car lots without moving, so would not worry to much.

Indeed, was unable to sell and I am now back at uni and have no use for my car as I catch the train.

I will miss driving the 197 but gives me something to look forward to once I graduate.

Indeed, was unable to sell and I am now back at uni and have no use for my car as I catch the train.

I will miss driving the 197 but gives me something to look forward to once I graduate.

Be like having a new motor every 9 months:lol:

I don't even get mine out if there's a chance of rain, it usually sees last light on the way home from trax then it's there til April.

With a little regular cleaning it resembles a brand new motors underside but then again its only done 12000 miles in 3 years :smile:

Similar Thread Suggestions