Gear change issue

Last night I accidentally hit the limiter in 3rd causing the car to jolt, as you would expect. Since then though, it has become difficult to select gears, particularly 1st when stationary and the other gear changes feel a lot more notchy and not right. It's almost as if the clutch isn't in far enough even though it is. What have might I have done?

Hitting the limiter shouldn't really do any damage, certainly hasn't in any car I've owned - best not to do it constantly though obviously, but once in a while shouldn't cause any headaches

Gear linkage maybe? Time for gearbox oil change? Maybe just slightly paranoid after hitting limiter?

Seems unlikely the box or clutch would have gone pop

No its definitely changed, every gear was smooth as silk before this. I can't think what's happened. It was a fair old jolt when it hit the limiter and it hasn't felt the same since. I never hit the limiter before and probably never will again to be honest!

No its definitely changed, every gear was smooth as silk before this. I can't think what's happened. It was a fair old jolt when it hit the limiter and it hasn't felt the same since. I never hit the limiter before and probably never will again to be honest!

As said above hitting limiter itself wouldn't usually finish a gearbox unless it is hit all the time! Maybe by you saying there was a fair jolt it's dislodged a gear cable or something like that ?

I had a similar issue were I grinded gears shifting. The car would not take 1 and 2 and had to fiddle with it to get it in. The gears were fine when driving however the selector was like loose with no recenter.

It turned out the cables for the selector were stretched. Ended up replacing them with a custom job.

Also after repairing them make sure you check out your gearbox mount. Probably change them to powerflex.

I changed mine and gearshift now feel like butter with out a hint of grinding

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

I had a problem of the gears at high revs not wanting to slot in smooth and hearing all the gear change problems I would not force it into the next gear instead let the revs start to drop and it would change up. I had a very soft loose top torque mound and the bottom engine mount had some cracking in the rubber so I changed both and the gear change improved but I have not put a new top gearbox mount on yet although its sitting on my desk. But selecting 1st and 2nd sounds like your gear cables may not be right but the source since your hitting the limiter could be engine mounts worn causing the cables to stretch check the mounts push on the engine with your hand and see how easy it rocks on them. Removal and inspection of the mounts is best the very top and bottom are not very hard to remove and check. The latest genuine bottom mount seems a much better design it has metal pinches on the rubber limiting forward and rearward movement and now the power flex inserts will not fit them.

MOUNT-3.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm a 36 year old bloke and I certainly don't make a habit of hammering the car! It had a new lower engine mount last a month or so ago and the upper mount is solid as a rock as well. I'm thinking maybe the linkages as said. Have to just get it in to my mechanic when I can I suppose :angry:

There's not been a day since I've owned my 200 that I haven't hit the limiter at least once. It's totally fine thing to do! That's why it's there.

Some times I've had to intentionally keep it on the limiter while going around the corner as it'll be too risky to change or there's a tight corner at the end of the current corner hence no need to change up but keep current speed. Just make sure you give the car time to cool down after it all though.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I understand holding a gear in a corner but holding the limiter does nothing for you as the engine will not pull anymore it's at its limit you might as well hold a steady throttle with a little in reserve encase the car pushes the front the art is to accelerate through a corner on the limiter you have basically lifted off so you should do just that as you have already passed max torque and the reason for a limiter is to stop engine damage hitting it is a poor driving style not necessarily a bad driver by the way I'm not trying to upset you. My limiter point at the start was that if a person is hitting the limiter a lot then normally the are aggressive in other things like gear change and braking which cause more wear on the mounts like mike_se has said the bottom mount has been changed not so long ago make sure the engine top mount is in centre and locked fully one way there should be some movement if the old mount was in bad shape then the cables stretched is most likely but deal with it before gearbox damage happens.

Mine only happened after jolting on the limiter though, it was smooth as silk til them. Putting it into first and reverse is very hard when stationary now.

Today's findings were mixed, basically changed the gearbox oil and it is much, much smoother. However, problem still persists it's just nowhere near as noticeable. Also found out that the input shaft bearing is on its way out meaning a box rebuild may be needed, might make more sense to just buy a new box and hopefully the problem will go. Had a good yap to Mike at RenTech (regarding both my and [MENTION=52968]mike_se[/MENTION] problems) and he said it's likely not the mounts as its a cable driven linkage, meaning any shift of the gearbox should be taken up by the cable and he expected slave cylinder problem to persist all across the rev range.

Have you guys checked the Cable casing where it slots onto the gearbox(what holds the cables on the gearbox housing? As 1 of mine had popped off slightly and from time to time it wouldn't select 5th and 6th gear! Also became very notchy only after having a good look I noticed the cable wasn't sitting right.

Tony