Gearbox noise when changing to 4th.

Has anyone ever had a crunching sound from 6th to 4th. Like as if u don't use clutch or bring it out to soon?? Mine start doin it tonight, my guess is due to temp dropping and oil not gettin around. Any ideas??

Gutted to hear that mate - thats exactly what has just happened to mine and Renault have diagnosed broken gearbox/syncros

Many others have experienced this - what mileage has your car covered?

its done 15000 miles, it now started doing it from 2nd to 4th. its a pain in the butt, but what can ya do.

Gutted to hear that mate - thats exactly what has just happened to mine and Renault have diagnosed broken gearbox/syncros

Many others have experienced this - what mileage has your car covered?

strange that some people and renault think there isnt an issue with the gearboxes......:001_huh:

15k out of a new and modern designed gearbox = joke

I cant believe that this has been happening to others and nothing has been done about it

You'll probably end up with other reponses saying its hard cheese and 'you shouldnt drive it so hard' or 'its been used so you have to expect faults'

Get on the phone to Renault Customer Services and complain, explain that you are aware that this fault has happened to other owners and would like to know what Renault plan to do about it (other than sweep it under the carpet by replacing it under warranty)

God help others who slip months and years out of warranty and have to gather 2.5k together to keep the car on the road becasue of a known/recognised fault.

15k out of a new and modern designed gearbox = joke

I cant believe that this has been happening to others and nothing has been done about it

You'll probably end up with other reponses saying its hard cheese and 'you shouldnt drive it so hard' or 'its been used so you have to expect faults'

Get on the phone to Renault Customer Services and complain, explain that you are aware that this fault has happened to other owners and would like to know what Renault plan to do about it (other than sweep it under the carpet by replacing it under warranty)

God help others who slip months and years out of warranty and have to gather 2.5k together to keep the car on the road becasue of a known/recognised fault.

if mine breaks it will be a secondhand box fitted and i will strip the broken one down and see whats gone wrong - then phone up renault and tell em!!!

Mine went in December, literally overnight, day before the gearbox was fine but got up for work next day and it was like someone replaced it while I was asleep. The dealer replaced it without any issue. I don't think I'll be keeping this car once the warranty runs out though, which is shame but like has been said above, very expensive if it does go wrong again outside of warranty.

Well - new gearbox is needed but the lad at renault said that they have modified the insides of the box because of the problems it has. Another lad brought his 200 the other day with same problem, 10000 miles on clock. So now driving a very stylish Twingo 1.2 in orange, until next sat :smiley:

I get a crunch into 2nd sometimes when cold, never when warm. I also had a slight crunch into 4th as well for the first time the other day. Not good! 6 month old 200 Cup on 3300 miles FYI.

But meh, thats what warranty is for :smile:

i do think the lubrication of these gearboxes has a lot to do with the problems - when their cold its as if the oil hasnt lubricated the gears and the level is to low - or the standard of oil in the box is not up to the job...

some vauxhall gearboxes had problems if the oil level was on the minimum side - the slector forks used to wear away - was always recommended by gearbox reconditioners to have them slightly over filled to stop this !