Gearbox Synchros and Replacement question

so picked up the car today with a new gearbox and clutch! it feels a little notchy and was really difficult to get in gear from the off but I guess this is how a brand new one of these feels - will be monitoring closely for the next few miles.

The part number on the invoice refers to a "TL4 s20" which I've never seen before.

It looks as if if has the longer 5th and 6th than the 003 it replaced.

So what is the s20? someone please tell me it is "S" = for Super strong version that won't break again!?

Something to do with the single piece syncros apparently. Ive had my gear oil changed twice under warranty since due to being "stiff"

Sometimes the gearstick feels like a giant toggle switch almost.

So the journey back from work today.., the clutch appears to bite much lower down - about an inch from the bottom of the pedal travel. It seems I have to push the clutch right to the bottom of its travel to change a gear especially when stationary.

Does this sound similar to everyone else's new box experience ?

Should point out I had the clutch changed too

mine is the same bighting point? near the top.

They may not have bleed it?

not that i know anything technical.

Ive had mine looked at numerous times, they just say its operating fine. Its strange, biting point is way down low when pulling away, but, if you slowly press the pedal when in motion, it doesnt take much to make it slip.

Will be bleeding myself when i do my brake fluid.

Mental pen , Marshall - did you get a new clutch at the same time? I did and wonder if thats it

Last edited:
Yes new clutch exact same biting point as before near the very top of the pedal travel. Not near the floor.

Feels exactly the same in every way.