Gearbox

I know it's probably been covered so many time but I'm new so got to ask I'm doing a meg conversion on my car I've got everything I need apart from an ecu and haven't made my mind up on what gear box to use I have :

a 225 gearbox roughly 40,000 miles on it and gear linkages

a 197 box with 42,000 ish on it still fitted to the car

I really want the LSD though do I fit a diff to the 225 box or the 197 box or do I buy a f1 box with the LSD already fitted ?

I believe a diff is £714 plus fitting but the box is out or do I buy a f1box are they worth much last time I asked about one they told me £1000

ive got the same dilemma myself but by looking through threads the clio box is no good in the long run and the r26 box with lsd is just as good as the quaiffe lsd ive found couple of boxes for £500 ish I think that's the way im going

i was looking for nearly 4 months for a box and ended up tracking one down for £600 some are cheaper some are more expensive its a bit hit and miss.

Those running a Clio box will say the Clio box is better and vice versa.

Depends what you want really. If you want massive top end speed, a lazy driving style and a gear stick throw length the size of an Olympic swimming pool then go for the Meg box. If however you are happy with 146ish MPH but crazy ferocious acceleration and don't mind changing gear quickly then go for the Clio box.

Clio box is VERY fun, 1st gear comes out of nowhere and so hard to change in time. Motorway miles can be a little annoying tho you're talking 3.5k+ at 70, 4.5k+ at 90

If its quicker with the Clio box I'd consider keeping it and putting a LSD in that

i don't do many motorway miles so I'm ok with that

I agree with above: Clio box does a good job, but motorway miles are a bit annoying due to running higher revs.. The limiting factor and reason I have changed is the bell housing has not got enough depth to get a bigger clutch in.

The uprated helix clutch for the clio seemed fine with 300lb/ft

I think ill go for the cheapest option if I can get a f1 box for £500-700 ill go for that any more ill chuck a LSD in my clio box