The newer bumper is now receiving some attention.

The newer bumper and headlights are from a Clio that was a track car and was being broken for parts. It had a cold air feed fitted to the passenger side fog light. It was a slightly odd design as it had a metal plate that had been curved and shaped to fit in the fog light cover area with a long hose attached that presumably went to the air intake. I am not sure why a hose was not simply attached to a duct in the fog light hole. The front bumper also had a quick release mechanism on the slam panel and a clip either side of the bumper by the wheel arch which I would guess was for a bumper quick release system.

I gave the bumper a scrub on Sunday. The paintwork felt really rough and after using some fallout remover it was quite clear that the bumper paintwork could so with some TLC. When the bumper goes back to the car I might give it a bit of a polish. I used some Meguairs Ultimate Compound on some sections on Sunday to remove rust marks and a general dullness in the paintwork, most of the imperfections are coming out of the paintwork.

IMG_6785.jpeg

We have decided that although the holes in the centre section of the bumper look bloody awful they are going to be covered up by a number plate if it is on the road, or a show plate if it is on track. The bumper came without a support section that sits behind the holes but we have managed to salvage that part from the old bumper.

IMG_6784.jpeg

The newer bumper came with a Renault badge that had been wrapped with a carbon fibre vinyl wrap which was looking worse for wear. I had picked up our old glass black badge off the grass at Snetterton so swapped the badge over.

@EthanMenace has printed some more fog light brake ducts for the new bumper. These have been printed in yellow.

IMG_6590 (2).jpeg

@Beany has been very kind and sent me a tow eye cover to replace the monstrosity that came with the bumper. I will swap that over when the bumper goes back on to the car and stays on the car.

Our Yellow RS badge that sat on the passenger side of the upper radiator hole in the bumper did not fall off the old bumper so that needs to go back on to the newer bumper.

IMG_6591 (2).jpeg

The clips that were on the side of the bumper as part of a quick release mechanism have been removed which will leave two small holes either side of the bumper. The bumper has a few marks that I will sort out with a paint pen.

IMG_6593 (2).jpeg

The next issue to resolve was that we had lost all of the clips that the headlight screws screw in to on the bodywork. Ethan sorted those out by using a few rivnuts.

IMG_6594.jpeg

The headlights will go back on to the car soon.

IMG_6595 (2).jpeg

We have a list of things to do but the car is coming along nicely and will be ready for Cadwell Park in a few weeks. Some of the bigger things to do are:
  1. Install the crutch straps for the harnesses
  2. Possibly move the battery from under the passenger seat if it gets in the way of the crutch straps
  3. Put in the new DS1.11 front pads and Godspeed G hook discs - which have been ordered and should arrive by the weekend
  4. Fit the Corvette brake ducts
  5. Fit Aerocatch pins to the newer slam panel
  6. Test fit the track wheels and if the Ozs don't fit get some MRFs (from the parts bin) put on to the second set of Speedlines
  7. Get an alignment done so the crazy negative camber can be reigned in.

What do you do when you have broken some plastic parts in a crash? You buy a plastic welder and weld the crap out of the parts.

@EthanMenace bought a plastic welder to fix a broken headlight clip and decided to repair one of the Corvette brake ducts that was damaged at Snetterton. You can see from the photo that the plastic seam has come apart in the middle of the duct even though it is intact at either end.

IMG_6656 (1).jpeg

With the welds done the duct needed to be sealed.

IMG_6658 (1).jpeg

After a liberal application of sealant the repair was complete.

IMG_6659 (1).jpeg

The new brakes have arrived. Some Godspeed G Hook discs and some Ferodo DS1.11 brake pads. We should check the rear brakes at some point.

IMG_6822.jpeg

Today we made some more progress with the car. The Aerocatch pins have been installed on to the replacement slam panel so the bonnet now shuts and can be secured shut. The front bumper is back on. The Corvette brake ducts have been reinstalled.

The crutch straps have been installed. We have drilled holes through the floor and used spreader plates and eye bolts to attach the crutch straps. The spreader plates have had lots of sealant put between the plate and the car skin, and around the edge of the spreader plate.

The battery which was under the passenger seat has been moved as it is in the way of the passenger side crutch strap eye bolts. We are going to move the battery to the middle of the car and mount it where the rear footwells are.

IMG_6823.jpeg

We still have not driven the car after fitting the EE backet kit. It is booked in for an alignment on Saturday morning at AW Motorworks so it needs to be back in a driveable state by Friday night.

Another delivery arrived today.

IMG_6821.jpeg

Ethan and I have got tickets for Goodwood Festival of Speed in July this year. We are going on Friday and Saturday. We did the Festival of Speed in 2022 and really enjoyed it. Thankfully we missed the cancellation debacle last year. July is going to be a busy month with a Ring trip and the Festival of Speed.

The six point harnesses are now in on both sides and the battery has now been moved from under the passenger seat to behind the passenger seat.

IMG_6827.jpeg

We can't decide if we should bed in the new discs and brakes together, or bed in the pads with some extreme braking on the old crusty Brembo HC discs (the ones that we in the parts bin and did not have the pad wear down to the metal). The discs came with a sticker saying that they need some gentle driving for 250 to 300 miles to bed them in to make sure they last longer but surely you can't achieve that if you are also bedding in brake pads?

Ethan has been cracking through the to do list
  1. Install the crutch straps for the harnesses
  2. Possibly move the battery from under the passenger seat if it gets in the way of the crutch straps
  3. Put in the new DS1.11 front pads and Godspeed G hook discs - which have been ordered and should arrive by the weekend
  4. Fit the Corvette brake ducts
  5. Fit Aerocatch pins to the newer slam panel
  6. Test fit the track wheels and if the Ozs don't fit get some MRFs (from the parts bin) put on to the second set of Speedlines
  7. Get an alignment done so the crazy negative camber can be reigned in.
The car will go for a test drive later tonight and once we have had the alignment done tomorrow we can work out what we are going to do with track wheels. The new brake pads and discs will be on the car, whatever we decide to do about bedding in, by the end of the weekend. This should mean that the car is then ready for Cadwell Park in just over two weeks time.

My thought process for new discs and pads was to get them done before Cadwell. Thankfully your car is still road legal so you can bed them in with a week or so of road driving, I had to do mine on track. It's very difficult to do a good job of bedding discs and pads in at Cadwell in my experience so I'd get it done sooner rather than later!

My thought process for new discs and pads was to get them done before Cadwell. Thankfully your car is still road legal so you can bed them in with a week or so of road driving, I had to do mine on track. It's very difficult to do a good job of bedding discs and pads in at Cadwell in my experience so I'd get it done sooner rather than later!
Yeah that’s why I’m leaving mine.. though wonder how fast I could do to the bottom of the close

The car came off of the axle stands today.

IMG_6837.jpeg

@EthanMenace took it for q quick drive and was immediately concerned by by a clunking noise and a metallic rubbing noise. The clunking noise turned out to be the steering column which was quickly sorted out. This is the drivers side wheel on full lock when it was put back in the air. At first Ethan thought that the adjuster on the Gaz Gold might be rubbing on the wheel rim.

IMG_6685.jpeg

To try and sort out the metallic rubbing noise Ethan put the 20mm spacers back on to the front of the car. When I got home we went for a quick test drive and I think that the metallic noise is just the solid front end of the car. We have no rubber bushes in the rear beam, wishbones, or subframe so the car sounds bloody awful driving along. The Gripper also sounds like it is working harder but again that might just be the solid bushes creating new noises that I am not used to.

The tyres are really squealing when going round corners but I am putting that down to the amount of negative camber that the car has at the moment.

IMG_6834.jpeg

We haven't bothered to take off the spacers yet, that can be sorted out tomorrow.

IMG_6835.jpeg

The car is drivable and ready for an alignment tomorrow morning.

IMG_6836.jpeg

I think that we can safely say that the Oz Ultralegerras are not going fit anymore. The offset is too low and any compression in the front suspension is likely to cause issues.

IMG_6687 (1).jpeg

I would bed the discs in with the shit pads. You’re just gonna end up cracking them like Ben and myself if you bed in with the new ‘race’ pads.

Pathetic really given they’re a high performance disc. Never had this trouble with plain Brembos

We went to AW Motorworks this morning and had the front end of the car aligned.

This photo hows how much camber the car had with the Cup Racer front end put on and no other changes to the previous set up.

IMG_6839.jpeg

I know that people sometimes strive for lots of camber but this really was too much. When the car geo was measured it had over 5 degrees of negative camber and three degrees of toe out on one side. The extreme geo explains why the tyres were complaining every time they went around a corner.

IMG_6840.jpeg

The car is now set with 3.2 degrees of negative camber at the front - this is pretty much what is was before the Cup Racer front end went on. It is nice to know that if we want more camber then the car now has the ability to go a bit further.

IMG_6841.jpeg

The rear looks a bit squiffy but will be fine - I might get another shim from PMS to even it up?

I have ordered some 5mm spacers to go on the front to make sure the Gaz Gold adjuster does not rub on the rim of the wheels. When they arrive the 20mm spacers can come off of the front wheels.

Probably a bit late now as you don’t want to impact the geo but can you not spin the damper or has the gaz got a plate preventing it?

I am on 4 deg now and it seems extreme but there was a ex racer in the garage next to me and that was close to 5 deg and was also considerably lower. Would love to know what the front runners were actually setup to run during the races.

Reactions: EthanMenace
Probably a bit late now as you don’t want to impact the geo but can you not spin the damper or has the gaz got a plate preventing it?

I am on 4 deg now and it seems extreme but there was a ex racer in the garage next to me and that was close to 5 deg and was also considerably lower. Would love to know what the front runners were actually setup to run during the races.
Good point. There is a plate on them that goes in the slot in the hub but there could be a bit of movement. It was just barely touching the inside of the wheel.

I went for a drive in the car earlier today to see how the Cup Racer front end feels. The problem is that the Clio is the fourth car I have driven today and it seems impossible to notice any really significant difference compared to when I last drove the Clio (or perhaps the time before that when I was not spinning at Snetterton).

Without being able to drive it without a Cup Racer front end, and then driving it with it, it is difficult to say how it has improved things. The car feels more grippy on the road but other than throwing it around roundabouts and trying to take corners as quickly as I can there is only so much I can do on a road rather than a track. I have always found the Clio to stick to the road and to respond well to yanking the steering wheel in different directions - hopefully it will be even better than it was before. The real test will be at Cadwell Park in a few weeks time.

Before I took the Clio out I gave it a wash. The photo makes the car look a lot better than the paint really is.

IMG_6846.jpeg

The dog even came out in the sun and lazed around whilst I hoovered the interior.

IMG_6845.jpeg

The DS1.11 pads have gone in to the front callipers now. I bedded in the brakes when the roads were quiet. I must have looked like a right dick speeding up and then pressing the brake pedal hard to slow the car right down. I managed to do this about 30 times so I hope that that the brakes got hot enough. Later this week Ethan will swap out the Brembo HC discs for the new Godspeed G hooks discs to give the discs a few hundred miles of gentle braking to bed the discs.