Harnesses for Recaro Sportsters

Hi All,

Just wondering which would be best to go for, 2" or 3"? Ideally want 3" but worried they won't fit through the top holes comfortably?

Your thoughts please, preferably without jokes about things fitting in holes :tongueout:

Hi All,

Just wondering which would be best to go for, 2" or 3"? Ideally want 3" but worried they won't fit through the top holes comfortably?

Your thoughts please, preferably without jokes about things fitting in holes :tongueout:

I'd get a new seat first....

If your going to all the trouble of stripping the back seats out, put a Bimarco in.

Spend £300 and save 40kg a seat!

As I've just spent £950 on the recaros, I think I'll keep them mate. Not looking for weight saving just harnesses :smile:

I'd get a new seat first....

If your going to all the trouble of stripping the back seats out, put a Bimarco in.

Spend £300 and save 40kg a seat!

40kg a seat? The standard recaro aren't light but no way over 40kgs...

in theory as its not fixed back you shouldn't use harnesses as in an accident the could snap the back of the seat where the mechanism is and cause injury plus incorrect mounting of the harnesses as no cage to mount them on can cause injury as can only be mounted within 20degrees of horizontal.

basically more hassle than its worth :smile:

I've heard that you aren't supposed to fit harnesses to them too as they aren't strong enough, in a crash they are pretty much useless as they don't have the strength in them, the holes are just for show.

Please don't let this turn into another harness safety thread with people arguing who knows best lol.

If you can answer the question post, if you can't don't :smiley:

Please don't let this turn into another harness safety thread with people arguing who knows best lol.

If you can answer the question post, if you can't don't :smiley:

Fair enough, I wish you the best of luck if you crash. :coffee:

If you're going to do it, do it properly, not with some arguably cheap cosmetic seats.

40kg a seat? The standard recaro aren't light but no way over 40kgs...

Nahh, I think it must be 40kg for both :-/
Me thinks your right :smile:

Personally I'd never risk it with reclining buckets. I don't see the point :-/ why buy recliners if your taking the rear seats out?
But anyways, not for me to question why your doing it....but I personally wouldnt risk it mate.

I get it completely guys, safety is important. But when I searched about harnesses I read all about the safety aspects in the other threads, so just trying to avoid this being another thread focussing on the safety aspect. Don't take it personally!

It is just a big aspect of it. if you can mount them to a point horizontal to the recaro then they would be best. if you want them for track days look at a cg lock :smile:

just looking out for safety. If someone asked can I run my wheel with 2 bolts we'd be saying it was unsafe :wink:

answer to your question 3 inch is best in a crash and the load spread is better and will fit througthe gap in the seat.

Nahh, I think it must be 40kg for both :-/
Me thinks your right :smile:

Personally I'd never risk it with reclining buckets. I don't see the point :-/ why buy recliners if your taking the rear seats out?
But anyways, not for me to question why your doing it....but I personally wouldnt risk it mate.

That sounds right :smile: haha me being right is a first lol.

It is just a big aspect of it. if you can mount them to a point horizontal to the recaro then they would be best. if you want them for track days look at a cg lock :smile:

just looking out for safety. If someone asked can I run my wheel with 2 bolts we'd be saying it was unsafe :wink:

answer to your question 3 inch is best in a crash and the load spread is better and will fit througthe gap in the seat.

Perfect, cheers Richy. Just what I was looking for. I'm thinking if they're mounted to a cage at a horizontal angle safety wise shouldn't be such a problem. Anyways I've emailed Recaro to get the answer from the horses mouth so to speak!

I have a willians harness, 3" and fire through the holes and clips in the rear belt bracket and no need to strip :wink:

I'd go 3 inch, I did have a set of OMP DA508 out of my old GTi but never fitted them to the 200 but they were great on the GTi and do look the part also

I've just got a cage, but I didn't really want to run the harnesses all the way through to the rear struts. I guess I could weld some plates to the rear bench area?