Hose Pipe vs Pressure Washer

Jamz72

Paid Member
I have spent the entire morning (since 7:30) reading snow foam / pressure washer threads and looking into pressure washers..

To cut a long story short; I have just moved out of my parents house and literally need to buy myself all the tools & equipment I took for granted when I lived back home (which is a lot).

The car hasn't been washed for a few weeks and is naturally quite dirty/dusty/gritty so I'd like to use some snow foam to get rid of most of it so as to not start rubbing all the dirt around the paintwork while washing. A hose pipe is obviously a must for washing my car, so I need to buy one of those. Then I'd need to buy a pressure washer and a lance to use snow foam.. which is going to be at least £100 total. Seems very expensive. Especially as I don't want to start 'pressure washing' my car, although I have no issue turning the pressure down and using it as a hose pipe.. But then if I've already bought a hose pipe, I'm spending £100+ for 5 mins of snow foam :mellow:

I have found the Nilfisk C110 for £60 on Amazon, which I think comes with a variable nozzle so I could always tone down the pressure and use it as a hose pipe to rinse off the snow foam and wash my car conventionally afterwards. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AGD5J02/?tag=clio197-21

Coupled with the Autobrite Heavy Duty Snow Foam Lance at £45 (not sure which connector I would need to choose). http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index.php/autobrite-heavy-duty-foam-lance-various-connectors.html

Basically I'm dubious as to whether it's worth spending so much money on something I will use for 5 mins at the beginning of a wash. Any advice?

James

I wouldn't wash the car without one.

Personally I've done cheap pressure washers and they never lasted.

I ended up buying a £300 karcher that is 10 years old so has only cost me £30 a year.

Snow only works as well as the finish the dirt sits in imo. The better the layer of protection the better the snow lifts the dirt off.

I have that pressure washer and for the price it's amazing used to have a karcher can't remember the model but it was crap compared to nilfisk, just seems better made and an all metal pump seemed like a good thing an after a year no problems :smile: there is a small bottle that comes with the nilfisk but IMO it doesn't deliver enough snow foam and is very diluted

and for the snow foam lance you'll need the nilfisk/kew/alto (bayonet) fitting

@mentalpen using man maths if the nilfisk lasts two years it's already matched your karcher :smile:

Karchers are fine, if you buy the right one, its the smaller ones that dont last has there not designed for lance attachments.

I have used a series 2 Karcher for a few years now, with no problems, I recently bought a £450 Karcher as B&Q had them mis priced for £199 so I bought one, it is better than the cheap one but I would not have paid the full price as it is not that much better. I now have a cheap pressure washer that is surplus £25 plus post :smile:

I wouldn't wash the car without one.

Personally I've done cheap pressure washers and they never lasted.

I ended up buying a £300 karcher that is 10 years old so has only cost me £30 a year.

Snow only works as well as the finish the dirt sits in imo. The better the layer of protection the better the snow lifts the dirt off.

You rate snow foam then? I'm really keen to take the plunge as I already worry about rubbing grit around the car, plus it looks like fun to use! I think it's just the initial cost that's scaring me - having to buy shed loads of stuff at once.

I have that pressure washer and for the price it's amazing used to have a karcher can't remember the model but it was crap compared to nilfisk, just seems better made and an all metal pump seemed like a good thing an after a year no problems :smile: there is a small bottle that comes with the nilfisk but IMO it doesn't deliver enough snow foam and is very diluted

and for the snow foam lance you'll need the nilfisk/kew/alto (bayonet) fitting

@mentalpen using man maths if the nilfisk lasts two years it's already matched your karcher :smile:

Cheers dude. I think your last line has convinced me to go cheap! Seems like good way of justifying it :smile:

I have used a series 2 Karcher for a few years now, with no problems, I recently bought a £450 Karcher as B&Q had them mis priced for £199 so I bought one, it is better than the cheap one but I would not have paid the full price as it is not that much better. I now have a cheap pressure washer that is surplus £25 plus post :smile:

Yeah this is why I don't really want to pay extra for a more expensive more powerful one.. because they are not that much better, just more powerful I guess and I'm not really after power at all.

I think I'll go cheap and opt for the Nilfisk C110 hoping it lasts for a couple of years at least :smile:

the thing is the lower power ones wont last, mine didnt last long as soon as i started using a lance on it, just make sure which ever you buy that lances can be used on them

You rate snow foam then? I'm really keen to take the plunge as I already worry about rubbing grit around the car, plus it looks like fun to use! I think it's just the initial cost that's scaring me - having to buy shed loads of stuff at once.

Yes but imo you need a good wax/sealant first.

Treat your wheels, snow, clean your wheels, sort your buckets etc and then snow is ready to be power washed off. :wink:

Adds around 1 min to your cleaning process as you do it and then set the rest if your gear up.

the thing is the lower power ones wont last, mine didnt last long as soon as i started using a lance on it, just make sure which ever you buy that lances can be used on them

How long did your el-cheapo one last? I've seen a few people saying that using lances lowers the life expectancy.. anyone know why this is? The one I'm looking at comes with a lance but I'm going to upgrade it as the original lances seem to generally be terrible.

Yes but imo you need a good wax/sealant first.

Treat your wheels, snow, clean your wheels, sort your buckets etc and then snow is ready to be power washed off. :wink:

Adds around 1 min to your cleaning process as you do it and then set the rest if your gear up.

Need to get a good clean in first before I wax it :smile:

it wasnt a cheapo make. it was bottom of the range karcher, lasted about 6 months after i started using a lance on it. it will be the same no matter what make you using, just make sure it aint bottom of the range basic pressure washer and they say that lances can be used with them

Ive had two of those Nilfisks, both have packed up. Lance requires rebuilds all the time...not great tbh but so powerful for the price.

it wasnt a cheapo make. it was bottom of the range karcher, lasted about 6 months after i started using a lance on it. it will be the same no matter what make you using, just make sure it aint bottom of the range basic pressure washer and they say that lances can be used with them

Well it comes with a lance so I assume they can be used.

Ive had two of those Nilfisks, both have packed up. Lance requires rebuilds all the time...not great tbh but so powerful for the price.

That's not good.. How long have they lasted? Did you get them replaced under warranty? Are you talking about the standard lance?

When looking for a pressure washer look for one with an induction motor and not a universal one. Induction motors last longer and are capable of working at a higher load for a lot longer than the universal motors. I have a Nilfisk (I think it's a C130.6) which has been faultless for 2 years now. Only issue I had was with the auto brite snow foam Lance and it was just a bit if dirt that had got into it.

Well it comes with a lance so I assume they can be used.

That's not good.. How long have they lasted? Did you get them replaced under warranty? Are you talking about the standard lance?

Yea sorry its the trigger in the lance thats caused the issues on both of them. Keep having to rebuild with new o-rings.

First one lasted 2 years, rebuilt the trigger a handful of times then the motor burnt itself out because of the pressure sensor not working properly so the motor ran constantly.

Second one ive rebuilt the trigger twice but seems ok atm.

That said, id still buy another one. For the price they are cracking. More powerful than the Karchers in the same price range.

Cheer for the responses guys. I spoke to my dad on the phone last night and he said the one he bought cost him ~£600 and it has lasted 17 years.. so I think I'm going to hold off for now and maybe wait until I can get a decent one that will last.

I'll just buy a hosepipe this weekend and hope it pours down so I can get the dirt & grit off easier. Maybe give it a light pre-clean first to get the majority of the crap off :smile:

James