How to get callipers off?

jordan94

Paid Member
Hi just wondering how i get the callipers off on a clio 197, was going to change my discs but couldnt get the calliper off as not sure if i was going for the right bolts and didnt have the right tool to unscrew the bolt.

Am i looking at the right bolts in these pictures to get the callipers off? do i need to take the pads out first?

http://imgur.com/VcXRRPm
http://imgur.com/GCeHRTj
http://imgur.com/IOwMraP

If they are the right bolts i need to take off what tool do i use? im guessing a some kind of socket with a hex attached to it? If so where can i get one from in the UK. Cheers

ps sorry for rookie question

Well it is the right bolt,you dont need to take the pads but open the brake fluid cap under the hood and be carefully not to let it squirt ( its paint killer !)push the pads slowly( its abit hard) to side walls and there you go callipers out
Hex key is needed ( dont remember the size,think its 12 not sure )
And from where to get im not from uk so dont know sorry

Last edited:
Well it is the right bolt,you dont need to take the pads but open the brake fluid cap under the hood and be carefully not to let it squirt ( its paint killer !)push the pads slowly( its abit hard) to side walls and there you go callipers out
Hex key is needed ( dont remember the size,think its 12 not sure )
And from where to get im not from uk so dont know sorry

Thanks mate ill try taking the pads out normally first if not ill do what you said.

Didnt really want to get them out as i read on here the pins holding them in can be a pain to get out/in??

You cant take the pads without do what i said ( its the first steps)
And yeah if your pads has not been replaced for a long time it may be annoying job to do ( but possible)

you will find all you looking for in the "How to" section if you become a paid member...
but yeah..those pictures show the pins that need to come of 1st and then the actual caliper..
or as above..loosen the brake fluid cap and push the pads in..then you may be able to remove your caliper...

you will find all you looking for in the "How to" section if you become a paid member...
but yeah..those pictures show the pins that need to come of 1st and then the actual caliper..
or as above..loosen the brake fluid cap and push the pads in..then you may be able to remove your caliper...
He will need to take the bolt in pic anyway otherwise it wont come out .
Simple step by step :take out the bolt >open fluid cap ( be carefull its not friendly liquid for the paint )>push the pads slowly to sides ,and there you go pull the callipers out ,these steps is the basic first steps before pads/discs change.
Make sure you close everything strong and tight after you finish.
its safety parts be carefull and if you are not experienced with it /know what your doing you better go to garage
Good luck mate

Last edited:
if you have to ask such a basic question on how to do something with a critical safety item as brakes then don't!

if you have to ask such a basic question on how to do something with a critical safety item as brakes then don't!
Got to start somewhere mate! everyone has to ask these questions at least one time.

Got the job done anyways got brembo discs and pagid pads from eurocarparts they didnt have any brembo pads so just went with pagid.

car is now stopping as it should :smile:

Got to start somewhere mate! everyone has to ask these questions at least one time.

Got the job done anyways got brembo discs and pagid pads from eurocarparts they didnt have any brembo pads so just went with pagid.

car is now stopping as it should :smile:

indeed but I wouldn't want anyone doing something that causes an accident and /or injury and hence the comment :hug: