Is this going to pose a problem? (footwell plastic)

tchalikias

Paid Member
So after 3 years since I last took care of it, my clutch pedal started squeaking again. Thankfully, the remedy is an easy one, just undo the plastic pedal cover in the footwell and spray (carefully) some silicone lubricant into the clutch assembly and the point where it enters the firewall.

So today I was performing this remedy and after I was done I used a paper tissue to wipe excess lubricant that had spilled onto the firewall and carpet. As I was wiping the plastic surface behind the clutch pedal, I felt it give a little and what do you know, apparently it has cracked in a couple of places:

XYGAJ.jpg

I'm guessing a combination of temperature variations, me sometimes pushing against it when my foot slipped under the clutch pedal and the excess (corrosive, I think) lubricant caused it to fracture.

What I wanted to know is, apart from the aesthetics, is this going to be a more serious issue? I wouldn't want to have water ingress/road debris inside my footwell - I'm guessing there is more material (soundproofing etc) behind this black plastic, right?

Thanks in advance!