Keyless Entry

....even though I'm waiting for my new car, I haven't seen what the Keyless entry cards/fob is like...is it credit card shaped or like a fob...will I be able to put it on a key ring?? How do they work...does the car open when you are close by. Can this be over ridden so the car stays locked until you press a button?? Any pics....?

....even though I'm waiting for my new car, I haven't seen what the Keyless entry cards/fob is like...is it credit card shaped or like a fob...will I be able to put it on a key ring?? How do they work...does the car open when you are close by. Can this be over ridden so the car stays locked until you press a button?? Any pics....?
credit card shape
bit big but you can
yes when you close to the car slide your hand down between the handle an door it unlocks,push the button on the handle to lock
yes

picture.php

Get close to the car and it activates locks. Not sure about over-riding though.

If it's the same as my 197 card then then are credit card size legth and width, but are much thicker.

The car only unlocks when you put your hand behind the door handle. There is a sensor on the body and another on the handle itself and when the wireless contact between the 2 becomes broken (ie, with your hand) the car opens. The system works really well as it only works when you are right by the car. If you are more than a couple of feet away it doesn't work. Then to lock the car you press the button on the handle. Once for normal lock or twice within 3 seconds to deadlock. You can check it has locked within a further 3 seconds by pulling the handle. After 3 seconds the car will just unlock again by putting your hand behined the handle.

You can only operate the driver and passenger doors when standing by either (so if you stand by the drivers door the passenger can unlock their door or vice versa) but the boot cannot be opened unless you are standing by it, or the car is completely unlocked.

I hope this helps,

....cheers guys....thanks for the pic....don't know why this has been bothering me over the last couple of days!!

the dealer will tel you that you dont have to put the card in the slot to start the car. ignore them always use the slot has a few people on here have never used the slot and then now and then, and then not at all there cars as trouble starting. theres suppose to be two batterys in the card, one that is replacing which is for the buttons (central locking and another in the circuit that supposely recharges of the slot and this is for the ignition/immobliser. people who have got the car started and started to use the slot after have found not to have the probel again.

No need to put the card in the slot all the time. I put mine in the slot about once a month just to keep it topped up.

I keep my card in my wallet, its a bit big to put on a keyring IMO

I'll give it a go tomorrow. That's what the Renault techs must have done when they were caught on my Roadhawk camera when it was in for a service.

I put my card in the slot on long journeys, although I did forget to do it on the way to and from FCS. Hopefully this method will keep it going!

I have never used the slot.
As far as I'm aware they only have one battery (197) as there are no charging contacts on them.
If the battery goes flat in the key card You can still start by puting it in the slot .
I've also noticed that if you don't lock the car and move away from it it will self lock after a while.
You can also use the buton on the boot (in the Renault badge ) to lock and dead lock the whole car.
The emergency(normal key) is also stored in the key card .
autolrg.JPG

%7B4D843CB6-329D-45C8-9964-8A52088D18AB%7D.jpg

Last edited:
that first photo is a different design to the key card in the pic, and that circuit has a built in battery top left and the replacement slides in the where the gold prongs are.

I've also never used the card in the slot. Occasionally I find it won't unlock if my mobile has slid in front of the card in my pocket. Rarely though.

It's such a good system and I think I'll struggle to re-adjust if I eventually move on to a non-Renault.

They have been using the same key card for years i thought lol? Mine goes in the slot quite regularly just so i know where they are lol! Im forever forgetting where i leave them because of the keyless, but i love the system so much!