Knocking and vibration issues.

Not really sure which section to put this in as it could be one of a number of things.

Start from the beginning.

The first "symptom" was a clonk experienced when lifting off the accelerator when the car is cold. e.g - lift off depress to change and then clonk - sounds like its from the front end. This goes away when the car warms up.

Started getting slightly louder so I had it checked out - no problem with any of the transmission or engine mounts, no obvious wear to suspension parts (I only had the front springs replaced about 6 months ago).

More recently I've noticed more vibration, I can feel it through the steering wheel, and slightly through the pedals. Hard to explain as it's more of a sensation. The car also feels strange at times, steering feels a little wishy washy like its struggling for grip. Seems to wheel spin more easily than it used to (or feel like it is wheel spinning as traction control doesn't come on). When cornering a bit harder it feels like the wheels are "skipping".

I can also feel a knock through the steering when cornering slowly or when pulling off after moderate braking (like the rack is moving).

I realise my description is quite vague but its hard to explain when something just "feels like it is wrong". Hopefully this makes sense.

I'm thinking drive shaft and/or u-joint issue? Anyone have any ideas please? I'd like to take it to be inspected armed with some suspicions as to what it could be.

Cheers

Last edited:
i can sometimes hear a clonk from mine when cold - i think its either the exhaust making the noise as it gets hot/warms up or its touching the diffuser slightly and then as it gets hot it move postion

as for the vibration - driveshafts could be the cause or it could be a gearbox/diff issue

all you can do is have it given a thorough examination by someone who knows what they are doing