Kw v1 help.

Hi guys,

I have a small query about removing the topmount from this, the problem is i have bought some second hand v1's which still have the previous owners top mount on which he needs back,

th_e4582f33.jpg

The problem i have is the only way can see of removing the top nut is by using a 9mm on the top and a 18 offset ring spanner however once the nut gets to the top it runs out of space for the 9mm spanner, the nut is then not loose enough to come off still, its very rusted as you can see.

How did you guys manage this? I thought it had more material on top too allow for this?

Thanks G.

th_d379fdfb.jpg

No way of using allen key, just a 9mm socket which then runs out of bolt to grip as the nut comes up, which then leaves me scratching my head?

Thanks g.

Took both my front struts off and took them round to the local garage and they striped them.

Did you compress the springs before loosening the nut? If the springs aren't compressed then there is still load on the nut which will stop you spinning it off by hand.

Failing that you might have to try grabbing the strut with some mole grips with some padding between them to stop any damage and then using a spanner on the nut.

the springs are fully decompressed, and for the spinning of the strut, its not actually the strut spinning, its the stantion tube inside which spins so i cant even grab hold of that! really sh!t design lol.

Maybe you need to make so:

morsa.jpg

With this you can hold the suspension and unscrew the bolt! Make sure that the spring is decompressed!!

b6454d93.jpg

the springs are fully decompressed, and for the spinning of the strut, its not actually the strut spinning, its the stantion tube inside which spins so i cant even grab hold of that! really sh!t design lol.

Aaaaa now i understand the real problem....... I'm thinking..

use this for keep hold the upper tube..

9c73fb6f.jpg

and this for unscrew the bolt

311f62fc.jpg

Last edited:
looks like a bit of a pig to do

i got the guys at work to do mine. mind you i thing the 200 top mounts are diff

loving the pics tho :smile:

Aaaaa now i understand the real problem....... I'm thinking..

use this for keep hold the upper tube..

9c73fb6f.jpg

and this for unscrew the bolt

311f62fc.jpg

I do this exactly but then the spanner on top runs out of bolt to hold on too, and there is no where else to hold on. Then when you spin the bolt it doesnt spin the strut it spins the stantion tube inside.

Its impossible!

the principal bolt should be unscrewed (only 1 turn) on the car... with all weight on it..

no? :worried:

from renault..

Schermata2012-03-27a182613.png

Last edited:
sorry for the bad quality... :lol:

morsa.jpg

i do this using a ring spanner and an offset spanner. once the nut gets to the top the ring spanner no longer fits on the bolt head. this leaves me the offset spanner spinning the small tube inside the strut?

im sure somethings not right...

Once you've undone it enough that the spanner can't hold the inner hex anymore, can you then grab the bottom of the thread with some mole grips to hold it? (Obviously put something between thread and mole grips to protect it).

Once you've undone it enough that the spanner can't hold the inner hex anymore, can you then grab the bottom of the thread with some mole grips to hold it? (Obviously put something between thread and mole grips to protect it).

Did try this mate however cant get anything underneath. :worried: