197: Leaving the fold - Advice

Hi All

For the few of you i have had contact with about various issues or purchases i would like to say thank you. This is a great site and everyone is very helpful!

I am unfortunately leaving the fold for a new Audi RS3 which i am picking up Monday. I love my Clio 197 and I think i would have gone for another had the 200T been a different car.

I am wondering about the best way to deal with my Clio 197 which i still have

It pains me as its a fine car and there is nothing wrong with it apart from it has very little service history (as me and my dad regularly serviced it ourselves) - we have a pile of reciepts

It has circa 50k miles and is an early 07 car (56 plate) - I bought it in 2010 with 17k miles on - It is in Albi Blue

I also found out when i got the steering wheel replaced under what was left of the warranty that it had a new gearbox at around 15k miles which is maybe why i have never had any gearbox issues

I have bought a few extras over the time i have had it

1. I ordered a full set of servicing stuff which is unused (Main Belt, Aux Belt, Oil, Oil filter etc)
2. 18" Speedline Turini Alloys in anthracite / gun metal which are in good condition (there are a few marks mostly done by previous owner)
3. Yokohama Parada's all round which only got put on late last year and i doubt the car has done more then 2-3k miles since - £400 of tyres here
4. Cup Spoiler
5. I have several sets of rear pads and 1 or 2 new front disks
6. Refurbished the calipers in yellow
7. Bought a steering wheel and gear nob / gator off someone on here from a car with only 5k miles on (so is like new) and never got fitted
8. Cup Splitter

Do i hold out for the right buyer who would want all this or sell everything separately ?

Last edited:
I would say that if you have means and the time, then selling certain items seperately will generate a bit more cash rather than putting it all in with the car as part of the package (if that's what you were intending to do).

Spoiler and splitter-wise - are these already fitted to the car?? If so, leave them on. If you remove them, then there will be holes in the bodywork where they have been attached. You are pretty much guaranteed to sell these, however there is that downside.

Wheels - if you have/can get hold of some standard wheels, then again selling the speedlines will generate some money, however you will have to be able to replace them with something.

Shame you are selling the 197, but nice choice on the RS3 :wink:

Ok i will give it some thought

Good point on the splitter and spoiler

I almost got the RS3 in Albi blue as well! Audi wanted £2,550 for a non audi exclusive colour though so i decided against it and Sepanng is nice anyway

The aero kit is a desirable option anyway, so I'm sure it will help the appeal of the car :smile: same goes for the wheels.

I do like the look of the RS3, bet you can't wait for Monday!

Off topic slightly - where did you get your Paradas?? I had a set on my old Fiesta ZS and really liked them, but could never find them when I changed the tyres on the 197 - thought they may have stopped making them...

Just throwing the idea out there but... keep it for a project/track toy?

That's if you don't need the money out of the sale and have the room/facilities to keep it and work on it.

I've only had my 197 about a month but I still can't get over how good the handling is on the thing for standard. Bet it would be a right little beast on track with a few choice mods and some weight stripped out of it!

I hope that the rs3 is good, I'm pleased my golf gti, but I know that the rs3 is a big step up from the gti and the golf r. 5 cylinder engines sound better than all others. The best sound I ever heard was from a 5 pot audi quattro.

Have the belts been done? If not then that's a big negative. It's at least 3 years over due by now. It would be worth putting the car to std (if you have the OE parts) and selling like that, as people of said, you should get decent money for some of the parts.

No i bought the belts to do them

But then i had the car off road for a bit as the rear brakes needed doing again and its a second / weekend car

Then i came up with the idea of buying a new car so just did the brakes

My logic was that if i was buying a car off someone id rather be given a complete set of belts all brand new still in the bags as its more believable than someone just telling you they have been done and then they can do them themselves or take them somewhere and just pay the labor. Especially with the lack of service history.