Looking at a golf - eek :S

So on the way home the other night decided to pop into the local vw garage and check out a 2010 golf gti that they had in stock (mk6, DSG, 5 door).

Now, the missus has been banging on at me to get a 5 door car for about a year now as she is getting all broody and thinks the clio a little impractical for chucking a baby seat in the back, which to be fair, I agree on.

So, to the dilemma. Test drove the Golf and bloody loved it, the DSG is perfect for my daily commute (****ty rush hour traffic) and the fact that I have retained the future proofing of a 5 door with isofix and fairly decent MPG (especially when comparing to the clio) is making me really consider the jump.

Car is a wee bit more expensive and means that my recent pay rise will be heading car ways, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on moving to this? I'll miss the keyless entry but other than that the car has all that the clio has and more, thinking it may be time for a change.

See if you can find a mk5 edition 30 maybe? Lots of power potential but mostly mistakeable for just another golf. Would mean less money.

It sounds like you are pretty sold on the idea of the Golf - it fits your needs in terms of practicality and running costs - which do play a major factor when it comes to a family. As GrumpyTwig says though, it might be better to go for a slightly older model - the benefit of your pay rise would go on the 2010 model, but babies cost money too I hear :wink:

I was considering the mk5 ed30 but prefer the look of the mk6 and believe it will look a bit newer for longer (as I will be keeping for a number of years).

Babies are expensive so probably another 2 or 3 years but by then should be more than financially stable with affording the car and if not can always trade in for a diesel Volvo :smile: lol.

Plus getting the new car in before I can't :wink:.

This is strange...I have a mk6 golf R and need to save money so I'm looking at a Clio 200 cup. It's the monthly finance in the R that really stings not the running costs. I could buy a used 200 cup outright and be free of the finance.

Haven't driven a clio yet though.

How did you think they differed from a drivers perspective?

Have to say my R is pretty epic and so well made.

You probably get better mpg in the R :smiley:

Not driven an R but have experience of a mk5 and it's like chalk and cheese, one is compromised as an everyday car to make a massively fun gocart for the road and visa versa with the Golf.

It depends where on the spectrum of car ownership you want to be. Drive one, you'll either love it or hate it.

Last edited:
This is strange...I have a mk6 golf R and need to save money so I'm looking at a Clio 200 cup. It's the monthly finance in the R that really stings not the running costs. I could buy a used 200 cup outright and be free of the finance.

Haven't driven a clio yet though.

How did you think they differed from a drivers perspective?

Have to say my R is pretty epic and so well made.

I wouldn't go for a cup version in your position, as it'll seem very badly made! Go for a 200 with cup pack so you have a slightly nicer interior :smile:

I agree, the full fat with cup suspension is definitely the best of both worlds.

Visited the garage tonight and think I may have bought the golf! It's such a good car and it's had all servicing (including DSG box service every 40k) already done. Also having a body shop makeover due to a few scratches and I've asked that the alloys are Refurbed and the centre caps replaced. Other than that they won't do much else but I'm happy.

Bit of a change of style and pace from the clio but should be a nice car in the long run. I'll be sad to see the old girl go though :worried:.

I agree, the full fat with cup suspension is definitely the best of both worlds.

Visited the garage tonight and think I may have bought the golf! It's such a good car and it's had all servicing (including DSG box service every 40k) already done. Also having a body shop makeover due to a few scratches and I've asked that the alloys are Refurbed and the centre caps replaced. Other than that they won't do much else but I'm happy.

Bit of a change of style and pace from the clio but should be a nice car in the long run. I'll be sad to see the old girl go though :worried:.

Congrats! It will be an awesome car I'm sure. I believe a stage 1 map (no hardware changes at all) gives a huge improvement. I had the scirocco 2.0T 200hp and a stage 1 gave me 265hp and a huge torque increase. Totally transforms the car.

Have fun with it!

Thanks, will Deffo look into that if I ever get bored. But as I've just bought it today, that ain't happening any time soon :smile:

the clio is fine for one baby and the baby related paraphernalia. i now really regret selling up for a 5 door auris. miss the clio so much and looking back it really wasn't that impractical. however any more babies and yeah it would be a bit of an issue. golf is a good shout though. it was high on my list of possibles when looking for a 5 door/sporty hatch/family car

Last edited:
Yes and when I test drove it it became the only choice. Of course people can argue that you don't need a 5 door for kids but it definitely makes it easier. Loving the car at the moment and although the handling isn't as good as the Clio the drive is so much smoother and the interior is just a nice place to be.

So far not regretting the decision!

Ive just had my 2 year old lad and my 1 year old, missus a pram and a weeks worth of gear for Center Parcs in my Clio. 3 doors are fine for kids!