Lowering 197

Im looking to lower my 197 and probably getting new shocks all round. I have narrowed it down to the H&R and Eibach Pro Kit springs but need some advice and opinions between those two spring options. Looking for a set of Cup 197 shock absorbers, can anyone point me in the right direction for these? As I understand it the front suspension is a bit tricky to replace and can be quite time consuming compared to the rear, how much should I be looking to pay for someone to replace the suspension?

h&r will lower your car a bit more than Eibach..if you are thinking of fitting the cup shocks then why dont you go with cup springs??
may be the best combo..
i have got Eibach springs on standard shocks and they work well together..not a massive drop so i can cruise around Manchester with no fear of damaging my exhaust on every where present speed bumps :bumpit:

I have h&r on cup shocks and I think it's perfect. Sits nicer than on the cup springs handles better but the ride is a little firmer.

Bitch of a job to replace the front shocks, the pinch bolt on the hub 9/10 is seized solid, you normally have to cut it out and replaced. Apart from that it's not too bad.

h&r will lower your car a bit more than Eibach..if you are thinking of fitting the cup shocks then why dont you go with cup springs??
may be the best combo..
i have got Eibach springs on standard shocks and they work well together..not a massive drop so i can cruise around Manchester with no fear of damaging my exhaust on every where present speed bumps :bumpit:

Thanks for the input, having looked at the prices of cup springs (around £100 each) I think it makes sense for me to get lowering springs. I like the idea of eibachs for the subtle drop but it does appear that H&R's are a more popular option here.

I have h&r on cup shocks and I think it's perfect. Sits nicer than on the cup springs handles better but the ride is a little firmer.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear! Is the ride anymore 'crashy' using the H&R springs?

Bitch of a job to replace the front shocks, the pinch bolt on the hub 9/10 is seized solid, you normally have to cut it out and replaced. Apart from that it's not too bad.

Oh I see, looking at previous threads does 4hr labour on the front and 1hr on the back make sense? I have no idea what a garage would charge for this job.

I went for eibachs and 200 extreme cup dampers. Great combo

Sounds like a great combo! Not sure the 200 dampers will fit on the 197 due to different top mount sizes?

Can anyone recommend me any garages in the surrey area?

I don't think they are crashy but I am sure that there are enough people on here with them to give a wider opinion. I only drive on country lanes and totally think they are great.

If you can stretch to an extra few hundred then I'd suggest coilovers. I looked into h&r's plus cup shocks, but at around 400ish I just bit the bullet and bought Bilstein B14's and I don't regret it one bit.

I love the H&R springs. I've got standard shocks. No trouble with speed bumps etc, just have your wits about you. I did the rear springs myself which was surprising easy, had a go at the front and very quickly gave up. A garage charged me £140 to fit the front springs.

I've been considering coilies for a long time now, but I just can't bring myself to pay £800+ for a set. Maintenance is an issue and my car will never see the track. Would rather spend money on springs and keep the current damper rates and use the coils money on saving for a track car if that's your vibe!

There is no maintenance with coilovers, put white grease on the threads and redo every service, no different to lubing door hinges.

I don't think they are crashy but I am sure that there are enough people on here with them to give a wider opinion. I only drive on country lanes and totally think they are great.

Thank you for the info it really helps to get feedback from fellow forum members!

If you can stretch to an extra few hundred then I'd suggest coilovers. I looked into h&r's plus cup shocks, but at around 400ish I just bit the bullet and bought Bilstein B14's and I don't regret it one bit.

Id love a set of b14's but I really like the ride from standard and would like to keep the feel as standard as possible, also after fitting the coil overs the costs for setting them up will be quite high compared to fitting new shocks and springs.

I love the H&R springs. I've got standard shocks. No trouble with speed bumps etc, just have your wits about you. I did the rear springs myself which was surprising easy, had a go at the front and very quickly gave up. A garage charged me £140 to fit the front springs.

Thats a good price I'm yet to find anyone who will change the suspension for less than £250-£300! Could you please pm where you took yours? I'm in Surrey so hopefully it's not too far:smile:

I've been considering coilies for a long time now, but I just can't bring myself to pay £800+ for a set. Maintenance is an issue and my car will never see the track. Would rather spend money on springs and keep the current damper rates and use the coils money on saving for a track car if that's your vibe!

What springs do you currently have?

There is no maintenance with coilovers, put white grease on the threads and redo every service, no different to lubing door hinges.

Thanks again, Its good to hear you like the b14's!

Does anyone know the cheapest place to get the rear Clio 197 cup shocks? I can get hold of the front ones for a decent price but the rear ones are almost double the price of the front ones!

Also if anyone has pics of their cars on springs using either the standard or cup springs it would be nice to see them!

H&R's on Cup shocks here, sits lovely compared to standard and I thought the ride was a little softer although both my front springs were snapped so that can't have helped.
Cost me £200+ VAT for fitting and tracking, the book hours for the front springs is something silly like 2.5-3.5 hours a side depending on which system they use, 45 minutes each for the rear so I was getting stupid quotes to begin with.

Last edited:
I fitted h&r's last Saturday and find them brilliant, the car sits a lot nicer and feels more connected to the road, I do find they can make the car a bit unsettled at high speed on uneven roads but the simple solution to that is to slow down haha. Heres some before, during and after pics of the car

Before:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139541193@N06/shares/KoTm0v

During:
URL][COLOR=

After:
URL][COLOR=

Last edited:
197 standard suspension is so perfect in my opinion keep it stock. Comfortable but stiff enough to drive fast.
I had full fat 197 before and now i have 200 cup, 197 was bettter (at least in Finland where roads are terrible).

Cheers for the replies guys! I have found the front cup 197 shocks for a good price however the rears seem very expensive can anyone tell me where I can get a pair of rear 197 cup shocks for a decent price please? Also I've noticed that the shocks are made by KYB, I've had a look on their site and there are two types of rear shock absorbers and would like to know which ones match the cup ones. Has anyone purchased the KYB rear shocks?

I fitted koni sport suspension on mine, it has adjustable dampers and h&r springs, cost £600 from demon tweaks. Can be harsh on speed bumps just clips the undertray.