LY200 - too loud or blow up again, taking bets!

The measurements i posted where from the net, i did have a k20 though and verified them so they should be accurate.

I'll let you know mate

Yeah they make decent torque, perhaps not quite the peak as an F4R seems to like for like - however they make it much higher up and thus big power :smile: Revs are the answer to everything IMO, because more revs means you can use shorter gears/final drive and that also increases torque at the wheels. Plus it just sounds incredible :wink:

I've got a rough idea what spec I'll go for - but currently researching the unknowns to me like clutch and flywheel etc. It seems the FN2 has a fairly light flywheel for a K20 already at 4.8kg (only 0.4kg heavier than my F4R TTV steel flywheel) so I may keep that stock - but then it's only £350 for the K20 TTV and it's 3.2kg lol!
Clutch though, seems a lot of people say that for NA use either Exedy OEM or Exedy Stage 1 - but to use a genuine Honda release bearing is also often said (despite the fact Exedy make the Honda OEM clutches!)? But there's just so many makes for jap stuff it's insane compared to Renault! ACT, Clutch Masters, Competition Clutches, Exedy, Japspeed - all seem to be suggested frequently.. but I've no fricking idea which yet!!!

There is definitely a lot of choice for tuning these engines that's for sure, I spent hours up on hours doing research before deciding on what modifications to go for. I did have an AEM CAI on mine for a few months which was wild, basically a cone filter mounted low down in the front bumper. It sounded great but with all the wet weather we get it's a bit risky for use year round so I decided to go for an ITG enclosed filter instead.

Might be an idea to sign up and have a read on here -->http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/

I've heard good things about the Exedy stage 1 clutch.

Last edited:
this video is beautiful..sounds great and very smooth...

Believe it or not, that engine was on 115k! - Some would say just run in lol. I know some owners reporting that they've bought low mileage cars and they've still felt tight because the previous owner hadn't really driven them properly.

Edit: Just found the old dyno graph once it was mapped too! - Got me looking at all the old photos, I do miss that car!
attachment.php

Last edited:
Nice, and that's a pretty stock engine when you think it's bolt ons only. Set of cams and valve springs would have seen 260bhp on that :smile:

Funnily enough the ITG I tried to fit on the Clio many moons ago was the Carbon EP3 ITG airbox, so if I need to quieten the induction down I may resurrect it. Although my 100% black flag track record since forging the Renault lump (ffs!) is believed to be exhaust related still... even with the Akra :blush:mg: must be that R3 mani doing it :huh:

The Akrapovic was put on because it has a centre silencer and bigger rear silencers than my old Supersprint. - Turns out that old centre I had was just fine because I gained 0bhp doing the Akra..! But I was clutching at straws somewhat back then.

In Mastercard style....
-R3 Manifold: £1000
-Akrapovic: £1100
-Custom fitting + welding etc: £much!
-Result: Priceless (as you're black flagged of every circuit lol)!

This is going to be superb but take TDI north figures with a pinch of salt. Their work is second to none in the Honda world but their RR figures are a little over reading. Standard 172 make 180+ on their rollers most of the time.

Forgot to measure the engine mate, been a bit busy tonight

No worries mate, it's just to satisfy my curiosity/anxiety mainly! :smile:

This is going to be superb but take TDI north figures with a pinch of salt. Their work is second to none in the Honda world but their RR figures are a little over reading. Standard 172 make 180+ on their rollers most of the time.

Ah cheers, so the Ktec dyno of the Honda world then :wink:

Pretty much pal. Like I said, I'm in NO way knocking their work. It's superb and everything that comes out of that place is spot on, it's just that their rollers over read a little. People always seem to get the wrong end of the stick with that, thing is it over reads on the standard car and over reads on the modified one, so if you've got 2 graphs showing an increase in bhp after mods it's got the increase, just the starting and final figures are slightly lower than they show you, it's not like they fudge the dyno results to make it look like they've achieved more though.

Good to know although yeah I'd carry on using SRR to validate power, with an aim to hit about 220bhp initially. Seen some interesting results on stock UKDM cams and JDM (PRC) cams using Titan ITB's..... think I might be getting a little ahead of myself though! I'm at least now up on the Honda codes though (PRC, RRC, etc etc!)

Gearbox has arrived at Tech1, engine should be tomorrow or Friday - it's on the pallet now anyway :smile:

Well we learn along the way, but with our wallets when it comes to reno mods! :wink:

Indeed, I've just done the cardinal sin and had a rough tot up of how much I've spent! About 50% more than I thought I was in for ffs, oops! :blink::blush:hmy:
Still, this is why the show must go on because what's a bit more for hopefully a working K20 Clio, Vs. what's already spent for a poorly Clio!:bash:

Last edited:
my-k20z4-750x410.jpg

Pop to the shop tomorrow and check her out! No flywheel so answers the question to use a steel one or not for me :smile:

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cliosport-carl Spotted 0
Zeezal Projects/Progress Threads 7
tkoh12 Clios For Sale 0
CL10 PAZ Spotted 0
tkoh12 Spotted 0