Matching inlets.

ok thinking of getting myself a dremel and tackling matching the inlets myself. is this an easy enuff job or am i looking at a recipie for dissaster if i go at it myself? anyone already done this? cheers :thumbup:

Can't really go too far wrong to be honest mate, just make sure you clean clean CLEAN all the swarf out before refitting as you don't want any bits of metal being sucked into the engine. I'm sure somebody on here just bought a spare gasket, taped it on and then ported the Inlet out to the maximum size and shape of the gasket... It's a simple enough job if you take your time, essentially all your doing is smoothing off the casting and maybe making things a tiny bit bigger.

cheers for reply mate. so just basically using the gasket as a stencil so to speak. youve just clarified my thoughts really but just wanted to make sure before i go stripping the manifold off. :coffee:

Yeah pretty much. I've not done it myself on the Clio but I've done it on past cars and as long as you don't go mad and take big daft chunks out of the metal then you'll be fine. I'm sure people who will charge you for it will tell you it's more involved then that but it's really not. There's a lot of variation in the quality of the Inlets on these things though, some are good and some look like they've been cast by a toddler so you might not even feel any gain after doing it if yours are ok to begin with...

Go for it Rab, whats the worst that car happen :blush:hmy: haha youll be fine, like willis says just dont go dremmel mental :thumbup1:

Can anyone tell me how This is done?

This is only for match the size of the "holes" of the two inlet manifold parts or is it more??

I am from Portugal and I would like to do this but I have to tell to the experts what to do!

Thanks

matches top and bottom inlets and the bottom inlet to the block. the only thing i would say if doing by hand with a dremel is if the holes you widen are different sizes, may cause running issues. standard each branch is a different shape, but they will all have the same cross sectional area. thats why places do they on cnc machines.

matches top and bottom inlets and the bottom inlet to the block. the only thing i would say if doing by hand with a dremel is if the holes you widen are different sizes, may cause running issues. standard each branch is a different shape, but they will all have the same cross sectional area. thats why places do they on cnc machines.

Can you post some photos so I can understand better?

Thanks

Can you post some photos so I can understand better?

Thanks

got no photos, but basically they enlarge the holes slightly, and match them up so theres no overlaps so air/fuel flows smoothly, most places will design a template to mark when they machine them too.