Mountain bikes

Ive just got my £500 voucher through work from the cycletowork scheme. £500 bike tax free sounded too good to miss. Only pay £360 of that back.

The dealer of their choice is Halfords only unfortunately so no fancy bikes allowed....however they can get hold of most.

Ive been on the site and had a look and the Voodoo Hoodoo seems to be the most liked for £499 however theyve downgraded since the 2011/12 award winning bike losing certain features.

Can anyone thats into their bikes and have a spare 10 mins have a flick through whats available for under £500 and advise?

Despite losing the fancy remote lockout front shock, all the geartrain is shimano and the hydraulic brakes seem to be of a decent spec...cant go far wrong surely?

Had a quick look for u halfords really do sell some crap
evans cycles usually honour these sort of schemes have a look at the specialized hard rock or one of the ttreks at least if u get a good frame u can add to it. Having said that I have never rode any xc bikes I did ten years down hill so all I know is how to break stuff

I can't recommend a specific bike but definitely make sure you get hydraulic disc brakes, they are amazing!

James

Most bike shops honour these vouchers, look around as Halfords are ****e.

Also depends what sort of riding you're going to be doing as to what bike you'll need - Road bike, XC, Hybrid.

Not much help I know but if you find a good bike shop they'll give you all the help and advice you need:smile:

....as said, the vouchers are not restricted to Halfords. Most bike shops will do cycle to work schemes. www.wiggle.co.uk do this and it is worth a look on that site as there is a lot on the sale at the moment even up to 45% off so you could get a bargain......I have just bought a pair of Mosa Road Bikes with Carbon Frames and Ulegra group set for £1190 each....I know that sounds a lot, but for the spec that is a bargain!!

....then it might be worth looking at the Bordman range....but to get something decent you will have to top the voucher up as the lower end of the range is not so good. The TOTR hybrid is about £700.....the Cycle to Work Scheme is a separate organisation that employers sign up to....our work place has vouchers available up to £1000 and its available at all participating cycle shops....I'm suprised you are restricted to one dealer, unless its not the National Scheme....

Unfortunately its not the National Scheme.

Its run by Halfords http://www.cycle2work.info/

Please note that this Scheme is run in conjunction with Halfords only

Marshall Aerospace in partnership with Halfords have come together again to create another Marshall Aerospace Cycle 2 Work scheme. Cycle 2 Work is a tax incentive aimed at encouraging employees to cycle to work, thereby reducing air pollution, congestion and improving health.

Please note that we are running this scheme in conjunction with Halfords as we have in previous years. This is considered the best option for all MADG employees together with the cost savings they offer in running the scheme for us.

To qualify to apply to the scheme you need to:

1. be over 18 years of age
  2. have completed your probationary period with Marshall Aerospace Ltd
  3. be on the Marshall Aerospace Limited payroll (so that the weekly/monthly payments can be deducted from your salary)
  4. not be participating in any previous MA/Halfords scheme (i.e. you cannot enter into two current Hire Purchase Agreements)

Unfortunately i cant top it up to cover a boardman. I dont want to be spending obscene amounts of money for the use itll get. The Hoodoo certainly seems to get good ratings..

Last edited:
The frames at that price are just a MASS produce frame set just find the best group set for the money carerra Kraken with Suntour mix is good for the money I did race once and was a cycle mechanic

I bought a Voodoo Hoodoo back at the beginning of May, without doubt the best bit I've ever owned. Ride approximately 15-20 miles a day and its not missed a best, aside from a few punctures but that's my fault not the bikes! None of the parts has been downgrade on mine, It gets raving reviews as well. Highly recommend one!

I'm a elite mountain bike rider.

It depend what sort of mountain bike you want and stay away from halfords - they are **** bikes there!

If the cycle2work scheme limits you to Halfords, I've ridden a Voodoo (Wanga, I think). Not bad considering its only a £500 bike. Not brilliant but it had a comfortable riding position and basic fool-proof kit from Shimano. They will cope with commuting (with a change of tyre) and with light XC/trail use. I wouldn't fancy any really technical stuff as the suspension will not cope. That comes from me who has about 6 or 7 grands worth of mountain bike sexyness sat in his house :wink:

I bought a GT aggressor bike from Halfords on the same scheme. I don't think they do GT bikes anymore which is a shame!

Halfords are trying their level best to lose the bad reputation. Especially online with them now selling a vast range of products.

OK, 99% of the staff in store still don't know jack.... but that's why you should always do you homework.... which a quick google search brings up the fact that the Carrera Kracken is in fact a very good bike.

a review can be seen here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/c...rdtail/product/review-carrera-kraken-12-46886

Unfortunately a lot of the Halfords is rubbish stigma sticks, as many of the comments in this thread prove, when they clearly can make decent bikes.

So the long and short of it.... £500 to spend exclusively in Halfords..... a Carrera Kraken is where my money would be going!

Yea went for the Hoodoo in the end. Spot on for what I'm using it for. Just wish I lived somewhere a bit more interesting instead of having to drive out to ride.