My first bash with 3M Polishes and a touch of Zaino... Megane R26

I've never, ever used the 3M range of polishes, so I ordered a sample kit from Elite earlier this week, and spent today getting to grips with them.

- FCP: Love this stuff, it sure doesn't muck about! Cuts a lot quicker and more aggressively than 3.02 which I'm used to and seems to finish down pretty well. It does dust quite badly, but adding some Ultrafina into the pad definitely helps control this. My favourite heavy cutting compound! I could have done with this on a black Megane 225 I did recently. It would have made short work of it's deeper swirls!

- EFC: Great mid range polish. Seems to fit in between 3.02 and 203S but seems nicer to use and works wonderfully well with 3M's own yellow pad (as you'd expect!). It was hard to tell if refining was needed on my Silver paint, but the finish it left was stunning!

- UF: WOW! Where has this been all of my life!? I know a lot of people love Megs 205 and PO85RD, but for me this is the finishing polish of choice. Such a pleasure to use and leaves a stunning finish which buffs off easily. I did use a little too much and got a touch of fling, but once the pad was loaded and primed I only used a couple of blobs. Again, matching 3M pad was lovely to use too! (Does anyone use the black one instead?)

Anyway, I finished off with an old friend - Zaino Z2. I probably should have used ZAIO and ZFX, but I just lamped a layer of Z2 down over the UF'd area, left it for 15 mins, removed then topped with Z8!

Some afters... not bad for silver me thinks!

4801758905_fec965163d.jpg
4802388656_027fd2b0e7.jpg
4801754641_55403a5d0c.jpg
4801752457_a0cae3dc49.jpg
4802382504_1d1d4beb0c.jpg

I just wish Zaino beaded a little more... probably my best finish so far on my car. What else is worth a bash on silver?

Thanks,

Russ.

yeah looks good mate. welcome to the world of fast cutting compounds lol. black pads can only be used with 0 cut compounds cant they? like a final finish or mirror glaze? picture 3 looks very shiny. have you tried dodo supernatural wax? great beading after 1 application.

Yeah I had SN when it first came out a couple of years ago, it's decent enough but doesn't last very long! The later V2.02 recipe is better though. I tend to use Best of Show or Glasur/Vintage if I use a wax on my own car...

I used the 3M pads too... great system!

I also use BOS on my car, i find it alot easier to apply than supernatural. I also agree that supernatural will only last 3 - 5 days at best before re app is needed to get same beading

expensive though? ive never really tried any zymol stuff is it as easy to use as SW or Dodo?. might just save up for some paul dalton crystal rock lol