My standard inlets...

Heres pictures of my standard 197 inlet manifold. The ports are shockingly poor. Like I've said in my progress thread don't believe the storys that RenaultSport have sorted out the casting process for the 197/200 :tongueout:anic:

Upper

b840a3f1.jpg
c266a715.jpg
cc9fe9fa.jpg
cd6990ef.jpg
b0f64af3.jpg

Lower (still has the gasket attached but you can see 'chunks' out of the port and the poor match)

a343626d.jpg
8a5e436d.jpg
24b1790a.jpg
0805de01.jpg
a775c1f0.jpg

there is a reason they do this. to stop any manufacturing line up problems last thing they want is loads of cars coming back with compression problems . .

there is a reason they do this. to stop any manufacturing line up problems last thing they want is loads of cars coming back with compression problems . .

Compression problems?

Flow problems yes...

Compression goes on inside the cylinders...?

:confused1:

The upper and lower inlets may be out in relation to the gasket, but in relation to one another they are pritty similar. Having said that i matched them both to the gasket (which took quite a bit of opening out) didnt know if this would give me a reduction in torque.. but thought i would give it a go anyway.

Didnt bother touching the lower mani to head as once again in relation to one another the head and mani were pritty similar.

Safe to say it did seem to make the power and torque much smoother, expecially low down.

I do these inlets for £150 for a set btw.

Last edited:
Right first off I know nothing about engine etc, but surely they need to be the same shape and size to ensure the the air flow to each cylinder is the same!? I can understand why people get them matched now! Its pretty shocking isn't it!

The upper and lower inlets may be out in relation to the gasket, but in relation to one another they are pritty similar. Having said that i matched them both to the gasket (which took quite a bit of opening out) didnt know if this would give me a reduction in torque.. but thought i would give it a go anyway.

Didnt bother touching the lower mani to head as once again in relation to one another the head and mani were pritty similar.

Safe to say it did seem to make the power and torque much smoother, expecially low down.

I do these inlets for £150 for a set btw.

The match between the manifold and the plenum could hardly be described as similar. Either they are matched or they aren't and as STD they are quite a bit off!
A large portion if the gain from modifying these inlets comes from improving the transition of port shape as it turns into the straight section. This is where these castings are shocking...worse than the 172/182 as there is a more complex profile change.
The match to the head is better though still Canberra improved.

As I said in the post ^^^^ a large portion of the gain is down to the profile change and how (or even if) this is changed. It's not just about port matching.

To be honest the casting consistency seems good, there's not a massive variation between parts.

The match between the manifold and the plenum could hardly be described as similar. Either they are matched or they aren't and as STD they are quite a bit off!
A large portion if the gain from modifying these inlets comes from improving the transition of port shape as it turns into the straight section. This is where these castings are shocking...worse than the 172/182 as there is a more complex profile change.
The match to the head is better though still Canberra improved.

Dont really want to go starting an argument, but "Either they are matched or they aren't " is wrong. Your inlets wont be matched 100% will they, tolerances.

If you were to bolt the plenum and inlet mani together without the gasket, the difference isnt as bad as first thought. Compared to the gasket on the other hand, they are massively different.

When mine were done, i felt noticeably more torque across the rev range. And mine pulls quite a bit harder top end.

Will try and get some pictures up of what mine look like.

If you match a pair of manifolds (correctly), they are matched. If they aren't matched then they aren't matched!
There's no Middle ground....it's either right or it's not.

The only variation will come from bolt hole variation, but simple indexing makes alignment easy.

Its a 200hp, naturally aspirated, 2L French car with a fantastic chassis...

It does what it does brilliantly...

My mate has just bought an 11 yr old Porche 911 for 2k less than I paid for my 07 Clio (dealer)...

I hate all German cars with a passion!

Its a 200hp, naturally aspirated, 2L French car with a fantastic chassis...

It does what it does brilliantly...

My mate has just bought an 11 yr old Porche 911 for 2k less than I paid for my 07 Clio (dealer)...

I hate all German cars with a passion!

Only it hasnt got 200bhp, i think most peoples are running 170's standard and 180's with a few mods and a remap

After you match the inlets, the torque and power increase is that after re-mapping or felt instantly.

My car is already mapped by RS Tuning. If I do this mod, will I require mapping again?

After you match the inlets, the torque and power increase is that after re-mapping or felt instantly.

My car is already mapped by RS Tuning. If I do this mod, will I require mapping again?

some people feel it instantly some more than others then some dont, depends on how bad they are to begin with, i suppose. You will benifit more after a remap like any othe mod.