Nasty vibration resonance

Nasty vibration resonance, starts around 3300rpm, is really bad between 3500-4500 then tails off somewhat. There's an impression that the whole engine has become very 'harsh' because of it. Noticed it slightly for almost a couple of weeks or so, then it became bad pretty instantly.

Engine has a louder induction 'type' noise that started exactly the same time.
'Possibly' down on low end power too.

My first thought is it's a cracked or broken manifold somewhere, likely around the cat as there is also a wavering idle too.

Car is on a ramp tmrw but wanted to see if there is any other things worth looking into that others may have come across.

FYI - car is 100% standard.

Cheers

Sounds like one of the flexi's has broken, or perhaps the manifold has cracked. Stick your head in the engine bay, with a torch you might be able to see the flexis behind the engine.

made broken/worn engine mount which as then cause the manifold flexs to crack

update: engine mounts all good. Flexi all good. Had a new release bearing fitted (as mine actually melted...! and dumped all the fluid) I asked them to check manifold and they said all is good.

Cannot locate this vibration at all, driving me nuts!
Narrowed down though. next i'm thinking the heat shields

Last edited:
I "nipped up" the manifold to cat clamp and got this noise. Try putting the car car on ramps or jacking one side up safely and tightening the clamp to see if this improves things or makes it worse.

Did they check the side cover on the top swing mount? As this went loose on mine and caused a vibration

I've developed a noise similar to this. Starts around 2-3k rpm in most gears but above that I'm not sure as the induction takes over!
Was worried about Flexi's/Manifold but this has given me slight hope. It's going in tomorrow to be looked at so if you hear back about your cause before then it'd be good to hear to advise the garage.