New Member - Looking for 197

Hi,

Just thought I'd introduce myself here.

I'm Jason, based in Somerset. I'm currently in the market for a 197. Have around 4k to spend for a clean example. I'm not sure if that budget is a bit ambitious, what do you guys think?

I used to do many track days in my 106 Rallye however I sold this about four years ago and have been driving round in a '98 civic whilst saving for a house.

It's my Birthday tomorrow, so as a present to myself I want to pick up a Clio that I can use as my daily with the odd track visit.

I've read through the buyers guide and spent some time researching before I ended up here so I know roughly what I'm looking out for.

One question I do have though, I have followed the instructions but I seem unable to find the section where I can become a member and view the classifieds? I prefer to get my cars from enthusiasts usually.

Hi Jason, welcome to the forum! I see you've become a Paid Member, so hopefully you've found your way around the site now. If you do have any more queries, then please ask.

Yeah I would say that is a good budget for a decent 197, good luck in the search. Feel free to post links to any you find, we'd be happy to give our thoughts on it.

And Happy Birthday for tomorrow!

Hiya Jason........HAPPY BIRTHDAY for tomorrow firstly !

Now. Get that present sorted. "To me - from me" are the only sort of gifts worth getting :smile: And your budget for a decent 197 is fine. Keep looking, do your homework on the common issues and wait for the right one.........

Enjoy the forum buddy.

Hi all. Thanks for the warm welcome. Unfortunately I haven't found anything to go and view yet. I like the look of the one posted above, however there is no proof of cambelt being done and the car also needs a service. I was hoping to go and look today and negotiate a deal however it's a fair trek and I haven't been able to get hold of the seller so times running out today. I'll be sure to report back with any links for potential views. If anyone spots anything else in the mean time feel free to let me know. :thumb:

The search really isn't going well. I'm back from looking at car number 6 now. West Brom this time. The last few weeks I've done over £200 in fuel trekking all across the country. The words 'Mint' 'Immaculate' and 'Original' get branded around way too much. I even upped my price limit a little bit but still not getting any joy. Onwards and upwards. I'm sure one will turn up soon

This was the latest no go

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...t=sponsored&postcode=ta81ds&model=CLIO&page=1

Spec reads great, Owner was a lovely chap and had looked after it. Unfortunately (As I'm a Painter by trade) it was clear as crystal the car had a front ender at some point in its life. This was confirmed as it didn't appear to track very straight as well so had to walk away.

know this stage is frustrating but once you find the right car,you wont be disappointed...:thumb:

Welcome in mate. Took me years to find my R27, like you say there are a lot of ads that give you false hope. Be patient and you will find the right one.

It is worth the wait to find a really good example that you're happy with. And it's good that you've got the know-how to spot the previous damage on that recent one - I imagine that could have been missed by a lot of people.

Don't give up, the right one will appear. And you do right to be picky - there's obviously a lot of shoddy ones out there, so it's worth having the patience.

Keep on it mate. You're right to be fussy. There are loads out there so something will turn up eventually.

Are you looking on Facebook too? There are always quite a few private sales on there.

I despise all notion of Facebook. I don't have it nor do I have anyone that can access it regularly on my behalf. Currently Checking Auto Trader, Gumtree, Pistonheads, Ebay etc If anyone has any links I can view without signing up though that'd be great.

Frustrating but I WILL find a nice example.

Reactions: DS197
So I've finally managed to find one! Picked it up from Bracknell yesterday. Long old drive as some of the M4 was closed meaning a detour.

Managed to negotiate smack bang on budget at 4k. Very pleased. I'll post some proper pictures on Wednesday on my day off after I've given it the full detail it's desperately craving. It belonged to a a guy who was a member on here once upon a time. It's got a few really trivial minor gripes that need to be sorted to get it to 100% but overall great condition for the age. Mileage is a little higher than I was after ideally however the comprehensive list of receipts and work carried out made it worth the trade off. Here's a brief list of goodies.

Clio R27 - Black - Number 446/500
Recaro bolster's have been retrimmed
Steering wheel retrimmed
Scorpion Cat Back
Newer Style Clio Wheels
H&R Springs

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704224690782?postcode=ta81ds&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&sort=sponsored&aggregatedTrim=Renaultsport&model=CLIO&advertising-location=at_cars&make=RENAULT&page=9

I know how much you guys and girls appreciate a good pic so there's a fair few in auto trader but I want to detail it all first before I post my own here.

Thanks to the site for all the knowledge empowering me to make a good choice. Can't believe I ended up with an R27! I was only after a standard 197. Love it already! :yum:

So I've finally managed to find one! Picked it up from Bracknell yesterday. Long old drive as some of the M4 was closed meaning a detour.

Managed to negotiate smack bang on budget at 4k. Very pleased. I'll post some proper pictures on Wednesday on my day off after I've given it the full detail it's desperately craving. It belonged to a a guy who was a member on here once upon a time. It's got a few really trivial minor gripes that need to be sorted to get it to 100% but overall great condition for the age. Mileage is a little higher than I was after ideally however the comprehensive list of receipts and work carried out made it worth the trade off. Here's a brief list of goodies.

Clio R27 - Black - Number 446/500
Recaro bolster's have been retrimmed
Steering wheel retrimmed
Scorpion Cat Back
Newer Style Clio Wheels
H&R Springs

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704224690782?postcode=ta81ds&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&sort=sponsored&aggregatedTrim=Renaultsport&model=CLIO&advertising-location=at_cars&make=RENAULT&page=9

I know how much you guys and girls appreciate a good pic so there's a fair few in auto trader but I want to detail it all first before I post my own here.

Thanks to the site for all the knowledge empowering me to make a good choice. Can't believe I ended up with an R27! I was only after a standard 197. Love it already! :yum:

CONGRATS buddy ! Sounds a good spec too.

Look forward to some apre-detail pictures :smile:

Hi fella, & glad your search was fruitfull. Welcome to the best place on the net for Clio RS Mk3 fans! The folk on here are a great bunch as long as you're up for banter as well as info! looks like you have found a nice car. do enjoy it

Similar Thread Suggestions