New Steering Wheel Fitted + Info

My steering wheel had blistered/melted quite badly and as it was the only thing that was letting the interior down it was top on the list to get sorted.

13569108053_2495a4653a_z.jpg

13569412614_37df76f596_b.jpg

After a little research I came across a company called Royal Steering Wheels, tbh not much research was needed as if you use Google to search 'steering wheel re-trim' they're the first result, anyway, after a brief chat with Jack I decided to send my spare wheel off to him.

I wanted to keep it as 'stock' looking as possible so opted for a half perforated leather and half alcantara (9040 - black) re-trim with red stitching and a red leather TDC marker. His quote was very competitive, all in for £134.99.

Taking the old steering wheel off wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I half expected the air-bag to go 'pop' but thankfully it didn't :smile:

Anyway here are a few photos:-

13569410274_d96501df9c_o.jpg

13569107963_601c2a559b_b.jpg

13569045645_84ac5a160a_b.jpg

That looks awesome mate! Really adds quality to the interior.

I've also suffered the melting issue on my 197. Good price at £135 too, so may give him a shout!

Tom that looks very nice mate. Not to in hour face but noticeably different from standard.

I know a few members on here are looking for a guide on now to remove the steering wheel if you can remember how you done it it would benefit a few others on here to see a little write up?

I have contacted them as well to do mine in Alcantara and yellow stitching and mine will be going there as well. Tried Edge but still waiting on a reply with a price. These lot seem ok

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at sorting out a little tutorial over the weekend.

My first port of call was edge, but I found his quote a little expensive.

Steve is uncompetitive in prices.

Last time I checked (a year ago) he would charge £175 for retrimming the steering wheel and that was with the forum discount, let alone he is seriously busy.

Tom, did the thickness of the wheel remain the same after the treatment mate?

Steve is uncompetitive in prices.

Last time I checked (a year ago) he would charge £175 for retrimming the steering wheel and that was with the forum discount, let alone he is seriously busy.

Tom, did the thickness of the wheel remain the same after the treatment mate?

Steve does seam (see what I did there...) to be really busy, he quoted me £250 for this job which was a bit too much for me.

The thickness doesn't appear to be any different to me. I'm genuinely really happy with it.

£250??? Joke.
When I got mine back there were loads of imperfections and the wheel was actually thinner...needless to say he didn't do what I asked him and to make things worse I waited for more than a month to receive it...not cool from a forum trader

Mini thread revival...

How are you finding the Alcantara parts? I'm posting mine off to Jack tomorrow for a retrim and I cant decide if I should stick to leather or do the same as you.

Does it not feel wierd when you let the wheel centre itself?

It feels nice and soft when you let the wheel spin in your hands, stitching is a bit hard at first bit its quality!

Alcantara feels awesome, however it doesn't last on a steering wheel. Mine is 2 years old and needs re-trimming now. It does worth it though for the feel alone:wink:

Anyone know what the rough turnaround time is on the re-trim by Royal Steering? I don't really want to spend £50 out on a spare wheel.

Yiannis, your wheel will not be worn, it is dirty. Years ago people with Racing Pumas were all saying there wheels had worn away, when in actual fact the Alcantara was just dirty. All the sweat in your hands makes all the fibres stick together. All you need is a cloth soaked in warm water with some washing up liquid in. I usually sit in the car to do mine with a towel on my lap. I then wrap the wet towel round the wheel and squeeze, working the water into the wheel. If you use a white towel you will be surprised at how dirty it is. Keep squeezing and dabbing the wheel, till the Alcantara comes back. Then get a dry towel and pat/squeeze dry. The same rule applies to seats or anything else covered in Alcantara. THERE IS ONE MAJOR RULE, ON NO ACCOUNT RUB, or you will kill the Alcantara. I have seen the results of this on numerous occasions. Alcantara is a fabulous material and will last for years. It doesn't wear out it gets dirty, it only falls apart by people cleaning it wrongly. I have had Alcantara wheels on my cars since 2000, and never had a problem. I have one on my 200 and it is brilliant.