Non-Start & Steering Not Locked/ABS/ESP Warning?

Rishi

Platinum Member
Hiya guys,

So this morning my car won't start... the electrics all come on but when I push the start button the cluster reads gibberish for a few seconds, car makes a lot of clicking noises but doesn't turn over, and various warning messages show, such as Steering Not Locked, Brake Fault, ABS or ESP Module warnings.

Under the bonnet it started making a constant bleep and clicking sound from the top of the engine, near the injectors. I disconnected the battery and tried again but it was the same.

I've got the AA on the way, just wondering if any of you guys have experienced this, what I may be looking at?

Thanks! :smile:

Thanks, It was :wink:

The batteries been on there for almost 10 years now so was due for a change, I should've tested it when I had it in the workshop last.

I could've saved on the AA membership but at least it was sorted fast, I picked up a Bosch battery to replace to OE and the car generally felt much better afterwards, coming back to life I guess.

Thats a whole load of warning lights / noises for a duff battery !

How is the car "generally much better" now you've had a new one fitted.

**Genuinely interested :smile:

I'm not sure if its all in the head but when I changed the battery in my 182 (it lasted 11 years!) after poor starting the car felt so much more responsive and driveable.

Reactions: sevenfourate
I'm not sure if its all in the head but when I changed the battery in my 182 (it lasted 11 years!) after poor starting the car felt so much more responsive and driveable.

And i was kinda imagining that as an answer from Maharishi.......

Interesting.

To be honest I wasn't expecting it to feel different but it did just feel more 'alive' in general.

I also noticed that the sound quality of the radio seemed to be better, could totally be in my head though. :wink:

I guess it could be like when you clean up around the house, a bit of dust doesn't really make much difference to a room, it just subjectively feels such a nicer place to be. I wonder if someone else changed the battery if I would've noticed any difference.

Reactions: sevenfourate