200: Not Amused

Took the car in Monday night to get aircon checked and for a MOT on the next day.
Got a phone call a bit later on the tuesday saying aircon condensor has a hole in it and it failed MOT as the front breaks are imbalanced by 40%.

Condensor a new one is going to cost £330- will have to wait.
and so to get it through the MOT i said get the breaks fixed, so all was done was strip them down and clean which reduced it by 20% apparently.

Really a moan really as the car has coverd 23k and its only is its 2nd MOT.

Has anybody had imbalanced breaks befor?

It's nothing to be 'annoyed' about.

The brakes need a strip down and clean once a year, stops them sticking.

Just keep on top of your maintinence of them and you'll be fine

well i took mine for the air con fixing last week, exactly like yours its got holes in it.

Renault Wakefield quoted me £557 to replace with a new condenser.

Why's yours so cheap or whys mine so expensive?

how can i get that umbalanced gone, they said something about replacing pins and pads?

wouldnt waste money just like that...

197/200 need a minimum yearly brake strip/clean/lube which has been highlighted on here many many times

do this BEFORE the mot and all should be ok

as for the imbalance -

when the pads are out you can deglaze them by roughing them up with sand paper so they re-bed in to the discs - also give the discs a roughing up as well

you can also if they are worn evenly swap a pad over form one side to the other to see if that cures it

an d one final tip - every now and again go out and give the brakes some proper hammer ie get them smelling!!!!

Last edited:
well i took mine for the air con fixing last week, exactly like yours its got holes in it.

Renault Wakefield quoted me £557 to replace with a new condenser.

Why's yours so cheap or whys mine so expensive?

thats a rip off at that price for goodness sake!!!

thats a rip off at that price for goodness sake!!!

id like to say i'm joking but im not, thats what they want to charge. Its crazy so ive just decided to not have air con instead. The condense itself "costs me" £115 +VAT brand new (google it theres plenty for sale) so its all in the work involved.

id like to say i'm joking but im not, thats what they want to charge. Its crazy so ive just decided to not have air con instead. The condense itself "costs me" £115 +VAT brand new (google it theres plenty for sale) so its all in the work involved.

have you tried harrats of ponte - ask for adam vickers

not changed one so had a look at the w/s manual....

looks like it could be a bit of a job - bumper/headlights/crossmember not to mention theres a version that isnt splitable so the radiaitor has be changed as well!!!!

have you tried harrats of ponte - ask for adam vickers

Adams kindly quoted me £410 all in for a new condenser which is an improvement. He mentioned he has seen a few Clios with a plate / mesh over the condenser to stop the stone chips.

Has anyone actually carried this out?

I took this wifes F1 into local Renault stealer only yesterday for their set price 69.00 Air-Con service (Air-con hasn't been running cold for the last month or so). They also found the Condenser to be leaking when they ran a dye through it, was quoted 360.00 for a new one inc fitting.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
FaithlessEmo Body Work and Exterior Lights 25